Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#15259 by dailycand
Sat Aug 08, 2009 5:34 pm
Any help would be greatly appreciated. I installed my Ooma yesterday and everything with the phone system appears to be working great. Tried printing today from one of my two wireless printers and couldn't get it to work. When I went into Airport Utility my router no longer shows up. Should I put Ooma behind my router, or am I missing something? I want to make sure that I am getting the best possible signal to the Ooma system.

Thanks,

Drew
#15264 by dailycand
Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:26 pm
More detailed info:

When searching for wireless networks on both printers my configured network shows up and I am able to connect the printers to it. However, it still does not show up in Airport Utility. I ported my number over and currently have it connected into my active landline. The blue light shows up on both the Hub and Scout. I'm able to make/receive calls. Had some hissing in calls, but relatively good.

I live in an apartment complex. The Airport extreme plugs into a ethernet outlet in the wall. Internet is included in the rent, so I am not sure what the complex uses (DSL or Cable). My VOIP test results are below.

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 1.6 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 7.2 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.9

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 3679584 bps
Upload speed: 7094032 bps
Download quality of service: 58 %
Upload quality of service: 50 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 145 ms
Average download pause: 4 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 75 ms
Average round trip time to server: 89 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 16800000bps
Route concurrency: 4.5657334
Download TCP forced idle: 65 %
Maximum route speed: 6990400bps

2nd Attempt and Third attempt were similar except call QOS was 47% and 57% respectively.
#15265 by Aveamantium
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:16 pm
Welcome to ooma! Unfortunately, I know nothing about the Airport Extreme? You can try the ooma behind the router (many here prefer this setup) but you will be relying on your Airport Extreme to provide Qos instead of the ooma. Again, I know nothing about this particular router but if it does have any form of Qos you'll want to try to prioritize the ooma device traffic with either its IP or MAC address. Sorry I can't be of further help!

Edit: Doing some "googling" on the Airport Extreme and Qos and it looks like it doesn't support it? Consequently, if you have the ooma behind your router and you are doing heavy uploads/downloads during a call, you will likely have a choppy session.
Last edited by Aveamantium on Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#15266 by hackerguy
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:23 pm
I have an Airport Extreme. I have the Ooma between my cable modem and the Airport Extreme and it works great. However my printers are not wireless. They share a USB port on the Airport Extreme. This is how I originally set it up and since it worked fine from day one I have not fooled with it. You probably need to find out if the apt uses DSL or cable though. Hope this helps.

Wendell
#15268 by dailycand
Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:48 pm
Alright. I believe I have this problem solved. It appears there was a problem with the installer (aka myself). I had a couple wires crossed. I can access my AEBS in Airport Utility and my printers are functional. After doing the VOIP Test a few more times my QOS quality still floats between 55-75%. Is this normal, I see some others' results near 99%. Any suggestions for improving this #. i.e reserved bandwith for calls, setting DMZ, etc.

Thanks Andrew
#15271 by Aveamantium
Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:03 pm
It has been my experience that the Qos tests on the VoIP test sites measure how constant you bandwidth is. In my case my bandwidth fluctuates constantly so I never get a good Qos score but my phone quality remains unaffected. I tend not to worry too much about these tests unless you experience problems (voice quality, choppy, delay, etc.). If you do experience problems then these tests do come in handy.

Glad you were able to get it straightened out!
#15279 by dailycand
Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:24 am
Thanks again for all the help. So far, quality is equal to or exceeds what we experienced with Comcast Digital voice in our previous home. I will put the QOS levels aside and not worry about it unless we start having issues.

My wife is still skeptical of the Ooma system. I wanted to make sure that I set things up properly so she would see the light. $476/year savings over our AT&T local&long distance plan was enough motivation for me to give it a try. If the service continues to works as is, we will be happy. Setup was easy minus my ability to read instructions and simple wiring diagrams :). All setup pains appear to be self-induced.
#15285 by southsound
Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:27 am
dailycand wrote:My wife is still skeptical of the Ooma system. I wanted to make sure that I set things up properly so she would see the light. $476/year savings over our AT&T local&long distance plan was enough motivation for me to give it a try. If the service continues to works as is, we will be happy. Setup was easy minus my ability to read instructions and simple wiring diagrams :). All setup pains appear to be self-induced.

As Aaron already said, welcome to ooma! As you have already found, there are some great people here who are always happy to give advice and help solve problems. My wife was also very skeptical about using ooma especially since I had brought one of those $40 devices into the house for her to try. She was NOT happy with it. But the ooma is another story. After we got past an intial problem with echo (and discovered how great ooma was about taking care of their customers) she has been very happy with it. We still have a landline because of a financial advantage for the next 8 months but she is using the ooma even for local calls. I'm going to venture a guess your wife will be just as pleased.

Again, glad that things worked out well for you. I would not be too hard on the installer - he seems to be well intentioned and makes great purchasing decisions! :razz: