Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14951 by dferrey
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 am
I may end up being to lazy, but I see I can get a Dell ooma for over $50 cheaper then what I bought mine for last week. I can order and receive the one from Dell and return my current one with the BestBuy 30 day period.

However, how much grief will I run into with ooma. By grief I mean I already signed up for Premier and started the porting process. I may call support later and ask them, but thought I check with this group first.

Thanks.
#14953 by southsound
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:24 am
I know that many of us paid more for our ooma system than the special sale price I posted - and I almost didn't post it because I know that some would have the idea of buying the lower priced system and taking theirs back even after they had used it (and in the case of the OP, signed up for Premier). Update - I've removed the sale details. If you are a regular here, email me and I'll send them to you. The sale was a 1 day sale for August 6 only.

I paid $229 for mine at Costco. I could take advantage of the sale I posted because even after 7 months, Costco would give a full refund. But I won't and I hope you don't either. It isn't fair to ooma to return a working unit. Now if you had just bought yours and it was still sealed in the original packaging, that's another story. But taking back a working unit is like buying a steak for $7.99 a pound and taking it back because this week it is on sale for $5.99 a pound. The supplier (and the manufacturer in this case) will lose on the deal.

The purpose of my post was to encourage others to buy a second unit as a gift or recommend a relative or friend pull the trigger today. Not to encourage returning units.

dferrey, this is not a slam to you. I'm sure MANY of us have had similar thoughts. But let's do the right thing! :cool:
Last edited by southsound on Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14955 by atici
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 am
I don't know how much you plan to save but I don't think it's worth the effort. It's certainly doable though. I don't think you'll have any problem with the support.
#14964 by dferrey
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:03 pm
southsound wrote:I know that many of us paid more for our ooma system than the special sale price I posted - and I almost didn't post it because I know that some would have the idea of buying the lower priced system and taking theirs back even after they had used it (and in the case of the OP, signed up for Premier). Update - I've removed the sale details. If you are a regular here, email me and I'll send them to you. The sale was a 1 day sale for August 6 only.

I paid $229 for mine at Costco. I could take advantage of the sale I posted because even after 7 months, Costco would give a full refund. But I won't and I hope you don't either. It isn't fair to ooma to return a working unit. Now if you had just bought yours and it was still sealed in the original packaging, that's another story. But taking back a working unit is like buying a steak for $7.99 a pound and taking it back because this week it is on sale for $5.99 a pound. The supplier (and the manufacturer in this case) will lose on the deal.

The purpose of my post was to encourage others to buy a second unit as a gift or recommend a relative or friend pull the trigger today. Not to encourage returning units.

dferrey, this is not a slam to you. I'm sure MANY of us have had similar thoughts. But let's do the right thing! :cool:
Thanks for you reply and no offense taken. While I think you're steak analogy isn't quite the same (unless my ooma will go bad in a week or two ;) ), I understand and agree with the sentiment.

My biggest hesitation with ooma was what I perceive (and still do) as a risk that their business model won't cut it and by the time my ROI kicks in I'll be looking for another solution. I guess returning/re-buying would contribute to that risk.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Edit: Life is good when there is synergy between my laziness and doing the right thing :D
#14970 by niknak
Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm
maybe best buy will honor the price and match it and refund you the difference?
#15017 by inrame
Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:36 pm
dferrey wrote:I may end up being to lazy, but I see I can get a Dell ooma for over $50 cheaper then what I bought mine for last week. I can order and receive the one from Dell and return my current one with the BestBuy 30 day period.

However, how much grief will I run into with ooma. By grief I mean I already signed up for Premier and started the porting process. I may call support later and ask them, but thought I check with this group first.

Thanks.

even a minimum wage, your time expended to save $50 doesn't seem worth the trouble it will be to return it, get a new one and switch all the setup. i know, frustrating. i would try dferrey's suggestion and call best buy and ask if they will make a price adjustment.
#15238 by kenra
Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:14 am
4087450772 wrote:If you want to save $70, than buy the factory refurbished hub from Fry's for $179.

Chris

That Fry's price is now $150 with a 1 year warranty and free shipping
online! It is also the same price in the Phoenix area stores.

Ken