Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14925 by giorgos
Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:41 am
The question I have is this.

Verizon can split the DSL and the phone line. They are coming via the same line and I use the filters. The question is: I want to use the same (verizon) number, and I want to let go of Verizon service, but I want to use the DSL. Can they do this? I am not asking them because they want to sell phone service. And they tell me what they want to.
#14933 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:02 am
Yes, this is possible. There are a few things you need to do. I'll list them in order.

1. Get a new DSL account. It can be on the same line, but all telcos use the same account number for the DSL and phone service. You cannot move your current phone number to Ooma until you have a new DSL account.

2. Schedule the number port from Verizon to Ooma on the Ooma website.

3. Kick back and enjoy your new Ooma phone service. :)

It can be more complicated than this, but these are the basic steps.

Scott
#14935 by giorgos
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:10 am
Thanks very much, Scott.

I am sorry I have some more questions: Why I need a new DSL? Do they have them "married." And when will they finish the job?
The line has telco+DSL. Do I use as it is, by using the filter? Is it enough to have one filter?
I am not clear about the Scout. Does it mean that the whole house will connect to the phone?
I appreciate your input. I am new to Ooma. By the way it is best I used after the 8x8. And I was sick of paying every month!
#14941 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:39 am
That is correct. DSL and a phone line are married to each other if they have the same account number. If you were to schedule your current number to be ported to Ooma without first separating your DSL from your current phone line, the day your number ports to Ooma Verizon will shut down both your phone service and DSL service because to them, no longer having that number means you don't have the account, which includes the DSL.

You are wise to ask about DSL, filtering, and Scouts. The Hub and Scout communicate with each other using HPNA over your home's phone line. The HPNA is in the same spectrum as the DSL so they will conflict with each other unless you use DSL filters in the correct manner. Depending on your exact situation this could be different to do, but it really depends.

The way the Hub and Scout are designed is for each to have one phone connected. However, many people have used the Hub and Scout to provide phone service throughout the house. Depending on your intentions, you may not need the Scout at all. There are three reasons to use the Scout:
1. To use a second phone connected to Ooma. This may not be necessary if you distribute the Hub over your home's phone lines.
2. To check voicemail in another room
3. To have a second line of Ooma service

Pick which of those are of interest to you, and if you intend to distribute your Ooma service throughout the house over your existing phone lines or not, and we can help you figure out the best approach for you to handle your Scout and DSL filtering. There are many ways to do this and achieve the same objectives, so you'll want to hear form other people so you can get a feel for your options and the ones you prefer.

Cheers,
Scott
#14948 by giorgos
Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:28 am
Fantastic. You answer every inquest!
But... I don't know what you mean by:
The HPNA is in the same spectrum as the DSL so they will conflict with each other unless you use DSL filters in the correct manner. Depending on your exact situation this could be different to do, but it really depends.

How do I find out? Do I use the filters I have or in only one connection do I use the Ooma splitter that came with it?

Thank you very much
#14954 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:27 am
That really depends on your situation.

Let's first determine if you even need to worry about it. Do you intend to use the Scout? If so, what is the purpose you want to use it for? Do you want to distribute our Ooma throughout the home on the home's phone lines so you can plug any phone into the wall like it was a regular telephone service? Do you intend to use two lines of Ooma (requires Premier service @ $100/yr).

Depending on the answers to those questions will change how we might do things.

I have one extra credit question. Are you against running a new phone wire from your telco's demarcation point (phone box) outside your home to where your DSL modem is? OR, can you determine if the phone wire where you DSL modem is terminates in the demarc, rather than split from somewhere else within the house?

Scott
#14958 by giorgos
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36 am
I don't think I will use Scout. I want to distribute to all the phones in the house.

It terminates in the demarc, rather than split from somewhere else within the house?

I don't think I understand it. I live in an apartment. Do you mean if I have a box within the house? I do.
#14961 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:54 am
Hmm... that makes it tough. We'll have to assume that it is strung in a series.

I forgot one question to ask. Do you have two lines wired in your apartment? You probably do. Each phone plug can support two lines. The inner pair of connectors is line 1 (red and green wires) and the outer two connectors is line 2 (yellow and black wires). If you don't mind buying a couple of L1, L2 splitters at the local hardware store you should be able to do this easily with your current configuration. Assuming you have two line wiring. What you can do until you shut down your Verizon phone service is put the Ooma on Line 2 and leave your DSL and Verison phone on Line 1. Where the Ooma Hub is, and each phone wall plate where you want to use a phone connect to Ooma use the L1 & L2 splitter and plug the phone into L2. Where the Ooma Hub is plug the Phone port into the L2 of the splitter. The phone port on the hub is what provides the dial tone. For your configuration I do not believe you will be using the Wall port unless you configured Ooma for an integrated landline. Do you happen to know if you did that?

There is more to explain, but this is the majority of it. Let me know if this makes sense and if you agree with the approach for your situation.

If you want to check your phone lines for two line support before buying splitters... Use a screw driver to open up one of the phone wall plates and see if there are four wires connected to the wall plate. If you see Red, Green, Yellow, and Black connected you have two lines supported in your home. If not but you see yellow and black in the wire but they aren't connected, go ahead and connect them. You'll need to make sure each wall plate has the second line connected, but if the first one you check has them connected the odds are good all of them are.

Scott

EDIT: Corrected typos and other blatant errors.
Last edited by scottlindner on Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14994 by bw1
Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:13 pm
scottlindner wrote:... Each phone plug cannot support two lines. The inner pair of connectors is line 1 (red and green wires) and the outer two connectors is line 2 (yellow and black wires)...

Scott, you always give excellent well written advice, but did you mean to say "can support two lines"?
#14999 by scottlindner
Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:45 pm
bw1 wrote:Scott, you always give excellent well written advice, but did you mean to say "can support two lines"?

Doh! Thanks BW1. That is exactly what I had intended to write.

I am surprised you didn't find a Google Translator hack to give a single URL that showed this post with the correction. ;)

Scott