Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14734 by bruce3404
Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 pm
Brinks tells me they "might not" be compatible with Ooma, so they don't recommend that I purchase Ooma (even though I did anyways!); I've read one rather long forum article which details some folks having trouble with Brinks communication with Ooma (for alarm system updates, for instance).

At this point, I just want my Brinks system to be able to call Brinks in the event of a break-in. The Ooma Guide suggests I use a landline; others, it seems, have gotten around this issue. How would I wire up the Brinks system to call out? Would I need a separate Scout dedicated to the Brinks line?
#14736 by niknak
Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:04 pm
The bottom line is that ooma provides a dialtone so any device that needs a dialtone should theoretically work with ooma. It may need some tweaks to the dialing string, baud rate, etc.

How is the alarm setup now? Does it run on a dedicated line?

Basically the alarm company feels a traditional telephone line is more stable and less likely to have down time, compared to a VOIP line that can experience many points of failure
#14739 by but2002
Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:30 pm
I HIGHLY recommend that you do not use the scout for that. The scout generates noise for outgoing signals, and will interfere with communication. I highly recommend that you somehoe have your alarm wired to the HUB's phone port, somehow

Also, have the brinks alarm system set to dial *99 before the number, that way it uses less compression on the signal, so that the audible signal that it uses will work correctly. Another suggestion would be to lower the baud rate of the alarm system. This has been known to increase effectiveness.
#14741 by bruce3404
Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:48 pm
but2002 wrote:I HIGHLY recommend that you do not use the scout for that. The scout generates noise for outgoing signals, and will interfere with communication. I highly recommend that you somehoe have your alarm wired to the HUB's phone port, somehow

Also, have the brinks alarm system set to dial *99 before the number, that way it uses less compression on the signal, so that the audible signal that it uses will work correctly. Another suggestion would be to lower the baud rate of the alarm system. This has been known to increase effectiveness.

To NikNak: The system is currently running on a Comcast VOIP system with no problems.

To: But2002
I can run the alarm into the hub's phone port, though it might take about 100' of cable. Do you know if Brinks can internally set the system to dial *99 and lower the baud rate or would that involve the dreaded $80 service call?
#14744 by but2002
Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:09 pm
bruce3404 wrote:
but2002 wrote:I HIGHLY recommend that you do not use the scout for that. The scout generates noise for outgoing signals, and will interfere with communication. I highly recommend that you somehoe have your alarm wired to the HUB's phone port, somehow

To NikNak: The system is currently running on a Comcast VOIP system with no problems.

To: But2002
I can run the alarm into the hub's phone port, though it might take about 100' of cable. Do you know if Brinks can internally set the system to dial *99 and lower the baud rate or would that involve the dreaded $80 service call?

It's semi likely that you could do it yourself from the panel, but if not, then you would need to have them come up and do it.

*99,444-4444 (Comma being the equivalent of a pause)
#14749 by bw1
Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:50 am
Here's info from someone who got it working:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1664&p=10607&hilit=brinks+tech#p10607

brentn wrote:I'm making a new post instead of editing my last one so that people see there is an update to this thread.

It took about 1.5 hours of trial and error, and luckily I had a very nice Brinks tech who was willing to work with me and let me try things. We ended up getting it all working. He said he's not promising it will continue to work, but we were able to do 2 successful updates, as well as 3 alarm tests.

The prefix he ended up using that worked was: ,,TT*99,
My ooma is in front of my router (although I will be changing that shortly), and I had to set QOS upload/download to 0 and 0.

Just *99, didn't work. It kept trying to dial out in pulse. Having any variable in QOS didn't work, it would fail after 10-60 seconds. I tried everything from 50-100% of my actual bandwidth. After getting everything just right, we were able to get it to work multiple times. So in theory, it's good! He was very reluctant to say it was fixed though. I hope he's wrong.

In theory as long as ooma doesn't change anything dealing with QOS or compression on their end, it should be fixed. If not, I will have to drop ooma and my premier account and move on.

And there's more info in that topic.
#14757 by paperjam
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:17 am
I talked with Brink's regarding using Ooma with their system. They said it couldn't be done, and that I should use their internet connection which consists of replacing the motherboard and alarm panels. Total cost is about $240, and takes about three hours to complete, plus I would have to extend my contract for another three years (my current one ends 8/8/09). They will be out to install the new system on 8/17/09.
#14760 by but2002
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:34 am
paperjam wrote:I talked with Brink's regarding using Ooma with their system. They said it couldn't be done, and that I should use their internet connection which consists of replacing the motherboard and alarm panels. Total cost is about $240, and takes about three hours to complete, plus I would have to extend my contract for another three years (my current one ends 8/8/09). They will be out to install the new system on 8/17/09.

They say it "can't be done" because an alarm system over VoIP simply isn't 100% reliable. It still works, on most occasions, but if you want it to be as reliable as possible I'd go with their internet connected version.
#14829 by niknak
Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:04 am
paperjam wrote:I talked with Brink's regarding using Ooma with their system. They said it couldn't be done, and that I should use their internet connection which consists of replacing the motherboard and alarm panels. Total cost is about $240, and takes about three hours to complete, plus I would have to extend my contract for another three years (my current one ends 8/8/09). They will be out to install the new system on 8/17/09.

Brinks requires a dialtone, ooma supplies a dialtone...but as others here have posted -it can be done, but it may involve tweaking settings , and it is not as reliable as POTS
#19867 by anagonzalez317
Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 am
I was also having issues with Brinks and Ooma. The suggestion to use as the prefix ,,TT*99 worked like a charm and stopped the issues I was having with updates. Fingers crossed that it will continue to work. Thanks for the suggestion!