Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14680 by Tampaite
Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:55 am
I have dry-loop DSL at home and have hooked up Ooma(with a simple set-up, phone jack goes into the wireless router and a wire goes from the router to Ooma's "MODEM" port and its working good so far.

I have my cordless phone plugged into the "PHONE" port on Ooma.

Am wondering if I could plug the "WALL" port from Ooma to another home phone jack and if dial-tone would then be available on rest of the phone jacks in other rooms at home?

Would this interfere with the DSL connectivity?
#14682 by scottlindner
Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:09 am
DSL and the HPNA (Scout/Hub communication over the Wall port) will conflict with each other. Even though you aren't using a Scout, I believe the Hub will still conflict with the DSL due to the HPNA.

However. It sounds like you don't have a landline, and that all you have is DSL. You don't have an integrated landline with Ooma, right? If this is true, there is no need for you to connect the Wall port on your Hub. You can put the Phone port into the wallplate and you should have Ooma throughout the house.

I don't know if the DSL will cause the Hub's Phone port any troubles. You may need to use a DSL filter at the Hub's Phone port and will need one wherever you want to use a phone in the house.

Scott
#14683 by Groundhound
Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:13 am
Assuming your DSL jack is separate from the jack you wish to use to extend dial tone, you can do it one of two ways.

1. Split the “phone port” on the back of the hub so that one side goes to your existing phone and the other side goes to the wall jack to supply dial tone to the rest of your house.

2. Connect the “wall port” on the back of the hub to a wall jack to communicate with a scout elsewhere in your home connected via its “wall port”, which in turn supplies dialtone to a phone connected to its “phone port” (depicted on page 6 of the "Quick Start Guide"). Ooma's hub and scout “wall ports” are for communicating with each other over your home's wiring via HPNA. Dialtone supplied to phones must always come from an ooma device's “phone port”

Edit: Scott typed faster than me, need more coffee
#14737 by Tampaite
Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:19 pm
scottlindner wrote:You can put the Phone port into the wallplate and you should have Ooma throughout the house.

Hi Scott and Groundhound,

I have a single phone jack in all the rooms at my home(as shown in the attachment).

I run a wire from one of the wall phone jacks(say in room #1) to wireless router and from the router to Ooma and then from Ooma(Phone port) to cordless phone.

I tried your suggestion:

I disconnected my cordless phone from Phone port and then I plugged in the Phone port from Ooma to another phone jack(say in room #2) and when I plug in another phone(in room #3) all I get is a busy-tone and is barely audible and I noticed that my wireless router which has the INTERNET light ON goes blank after about 10-15 seconds and I lose my internet connectivity.

When I unplug the Phone port, then the INTERNET light turns back ON, this suggests there is interference.

Any other suggestions?
Attachments
Wall Phone Jack.jpg
Wall Phone Jack
Wall Phone Jack.jpg (5.52 KiB) Viewed 4168 times
#14738 by but2002
Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:28 pm
That is because the phone port was interfering with the DSL signal, thus kicking it off of the internet. You would need DSL filters to filter the voice frmo the HPNA that the DSL modem uses, or get a L1+L2 splitter, run the DSL on line 1, and run the Phone on L2
#14750 by Tampaite
Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:52 am
but2002 wrote: You would need DSL filters to filter the voice frmo the HPNA that the DSL modem uses, or get a L1+L2 splitter, run the DSL on line 1, and run the Phone on L2

I used the Ooma splitters that I got along with the package but still doesn't help.

The Ooma splitter plugs into the wall jack and I run a wire from one of its port to the wireless router and a wire from Ooma's Phone port back to the other port on the splitter.

Am I doing it correct?

Also tried with the ADSL splitter which came when I had DSL(and landline) but now with dry-loop, I don't use any splitters at home.
#14755 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:07 am
but2002 wrote:That is because the phone port was interfering with the DSL signal, thus kicking it off of the internet. You would need DSL filters to filter the voice frmo the HPNA that the DSL modem uses, or get a L1+L2 splitter, run the DSL on line 1, and run the Phone on L2

I believe the DSL is causing the problem, but in this situation I'm not sure he needs to use two lines, although it certainly wouldn't hurt to use two lines. I would think using a filter at each wall plate would work.

Another solution that will definitely work is to put the DSL on line 2 and Ooma on line 1. If you don't mind using a screw driver and mucking with telephone wires. You could go to your telephone box outside your home (called a demarcation point) and put your DSL on Line 2 on your home's wiring. Then use the L1, L2 splitters so you can get L2 to your DSL modem for Internet. Then on your Ooma Hub put the Phone port on L1. In this configuration you won't have any DSL issues and will have Ooma throughout the house.

This assumes you have two line wiring in your home. Which is very common but I've read a few people that don't have two lines wired up.

Scott
#14756 by but2002
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:16 am
Everyone says "ooma splitter" I didn't get an "ooma" brand splitter with mine, just a normal one line splitter, so I don't know what an ooma splitter is.

If you don't plan on using the scout, using DSL filters on each phone jack in your house would be the best solution, run the DSL modem to the DSL jack, and run the phone port of the ooma hup to the "Phone" jack of the DSL splitter, and plug all other phones into a labeled "Phone" jack of the other DSL splitters.
Last edited by but2002 on Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
#14759 by scottlindner
Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:26 am
I didn't know it came with a splitter. I just checked the packaging. Sure enough, there was a splitter. I bought a couple from Monoprice without knowing I already had one.

I must have been too excited to get it set up when I first got it.

Scott