Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14437 by pogne
Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:30 am
I am currently having a couple problems with my installation but one of them is not helping matters - while I can access http://setup.ooma.com only the "Ports" selection under "Device Information" returns any information.

Settings: Network and Advanced can be clicked on but nothing appears

Device Information: Status is the same

I've got the ooma hub on a reserved IP address behind my router
cable modem -> Router (DGL-4300) -> ooma hub -> notebook computer

The notebook can access the internet, ooma.com, and setup.ooma.com just fine. Other computers on the network cannot access the hub through either its reserved IP or http://172.27.35.1/

The ooma hub's IP reserved on the router is in the DMZ.

When I activated the ooma I told it that I would have a landline attached. Since I am bench testing at this point there is no landline connected.

The "Play" and "Fast Forward" lights on the hub are illuminated indicating that the hub does not sense a landline connected.

The "1" and "2" buttons are also lit, indicating that the ooma Hub is unable to register to the ooma network.

Any help?

Thanks,
Paul
#14441 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:51 am
I'm going to assume then that you registered ooma to work WITH a landline. (provision) If so, you must connect the ooma hub from the WALL port on the hub to your landline jack in the wall. It needs to see that connection in order for ooma to go blue.
Wayne
#14442 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:53 am
...The notebook can access the internet, ooma.com, and setup.ooma.com just fine. Other computers on the network cannot...

That is by design

...When I activated the ooma I told it that I would have a landline attached. Since I am bench testing at this point there is no landline connected...

If the hub has been provisioned to work with a landline, you will need to attach a line with dialtone to the hub, it will not work unless you do so...that is why you are getting red lights and no connections

once you have it hooked up, you should be able to access the setup.ooma.com from other pc's on your network by having the ooma IP in the router's dmz
#14454 by pogne
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:19 am
WayneDsr wrote:To fix the setup.ooma.com issue, disable your anti virus. Some anti virus programs seem to mess with the setup screen.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne!

That was exactly the problem behind the problem I was having with setup.ooma.com.

For reference purposes I'll verify that the problem exists with Kaspersky.
#14456 by pogne
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:24 am
niknak wrote:If the hub has been provisioned to work with a landline, you will need to attach a line with dialtone to the hub, it will not work unless you do so...that is why you are getting red lights and no connections

I understood the reason why I was getting the red lights indicating that I had no POTs dial tone getting to ooma but I'll confess to being surprised that ooma would not connect and function without it.

I guess this means that if my landline telephone service goes down that I'll loose ooma telephone service too.

Hmmmm, I just unplugged ooma from the hardwired telephone and on comes the red blinking tab and away goes the dial tone. That doesn't make any sense.

I would expect to get a visual indication that the hardwired telephone input is down but since ooma can work without it why disconnect the broadband telephone capability at the same time?

Paul
#14459 by murphy
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:34 am
Call ooma and ask them to configure your hub to work without a land line and the connection will not be necessary. You will have to select a phone number for the ooma line in this case.
#14466 by WayneDsr
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:05 am
As Murphy says: have ooma change your setup, this way ooma will use voip exclusively no landline needed.
This way you can test ooma out and still have a separate landline on the other wall jacks.

After you do this (your choice) connect the ooma hub via the WALL port to your house wall jack, if ooma or your network go down, your landline will take over. You'll hear a regular dial tone vs the ooma dial tone. I have it set up this way here at home, was going to cancel my number but AT&T made me a good deal keeping a basic landline with dsl. It makes a good backup, but that's about all.

Welcome to the ooma forums!

Wayne