Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14430 by backforty
Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:22 pm
I have:
- Comcast Cable
- About 14 phones in home
- All two line phones/ Panasonic desk & simple 2line wall phones
- Two separate phone lines in home using one 4 wire connector.
- I will keep line 1 with phone co. and port line 2 to ooma

My set up:
All equipment modem,ooma hub, router is in basement
All phone and internet wires are "home run" to basement location.

Modem to "ooma hub" to router- got blue light
"Wall" port of ooma hub connected to a jack of phone line 2

Question:
Once my line 2 is ported to ooma can I disconnect the line that's connected from the ooma hub "wall" port to the wall jack? (I then cancel phone co. service once porting is verified by ooma)

Question two: (and this is my most important question)
Can I connect the output of the ooma hub "phone" port - to the head end of my line 2 in the basement and thus feed the ooma dial tone to all the line2 buttons of the phones in my house? (I understand they will not have full ooma functions except to place and receive calls, correct?)

Question three:
At my desk only - I would have individual phone cords for each of the two lines and feed line 2 into my scout then to my line 2 input on the Panasonic phone to get full ooma functions for line 2 only - since the hub is in the basement. My line 1 would stay with the phone co. and be untouched by the ooma system. Is this the way it would work?

Thanks for your help!
~Larry
#14432 by murphy
Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:39 am
1. Yes
2. Yes but you need to add up the REN numbers for all of the phones to verify that the total does not exceed 5. The REN number is on the base of the phone. If they are modern electronic phones you are probably okay. If they are old phones with actual bells for the ringer, you will easily exceed 5.
3. Line 2 from the wall goes to the WALL port of the scout. The phone port of the scout goes to line 2 of the phone.

All phones will have most of the ooma features. You can check ooma voice mail from any of the phones that are on line 2.
#14435 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:28 am
Murphy. How did you determine the Ooma Hub can support REN 5? I know that is the telco standard, but I always assumed the Ooma Hub would be designed for REN 1 since it is intended for a single phone.

The typical digital handsets are REN 0.4 and the ones you plug into the wall because they are wireless are effectively REN 0.0. For most people the REN equivalent won't be a factor with today's phones.

Scott
#14458 by murphy
Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:29 am
scottlindner wrote:Murphy. How did you determine the Ooma Hub can support REN 5? I know that is the telco standard, but I always assumed the Ooma Hub would be designed for REN 1 since it is intended for a single phone.

Page 52 of the User Guide.
By citing the FCC rules they are affirming that they are in compliance with them.
#14472 by backforty
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:20 am
Thank you for your assistance. btw I'm well under the 5.0 REN limit even with all the phones in the house. (Thanks for the heads up on that one)

Another Question:
On page 10 of the quick start guide par#4 it says....

If you do not have an ooma scout for each phone, you should disconnect those phones. etc. etc.

What is that all about?
#14473 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:21 am
I have 3 OLD corded phones (including a rotary phone with solonoid ringer) and a cordless phone attached to my hub - i'm not sure but I think my REN was 3 or 4 and all works fine with ooma
#14479 by scottlindner
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:36 am
niknak wrote:I have 3 OLD corded phones (including a rotary phone with solonoid ringer) and a cordless phone attached to my hub - i'm not sure but I think my REN was 3 or 4 and all works fine with ooma

That's good to know. I believe I'm below REN 1 so I have no clue.

More on the FCC and REN. I know the FCC has specifications for measuring REN. There are a couple of classes I believe but I'm not entirely sure. I couldn't find anything where the FCC dictates to the telcos they must provide REN 5 or higher. My understanding is this has always been an unofficial standard they all strive to provide.

Scott
#14480 by niknak
Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:39 am
In the USA minimum ring voltage supplied is 40Vrms (delivered into a 5 REN load). This is the must detect limit. There is also a minimum must ignore value of 10Vrms. Milage on individual PBX's will vary greatly. But most guarantee to deliver 40Vrms into a 3 to 5 REN load.

All REN is about is that there is enough voltage on the line to ring all the attached devices, With new equipment uisng electronic (as opposed to solonoid type) ringers, the REN is not a big issue