Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14341 by wrxray
Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:35 am
I just purchased an Ooma system and am currently going through the installation process. My home phone is provided by AT&T and I have Earthlink DSL. I have chatted and called Earthlink, and all representatives I talk to have said I am not in an area where they can dry loop my DSL line. I called Ooma support and they told me that since my landline provider and dsl provider are from different companies, I do not need to dry loop. I can just port my existing number, cancel AT&T, and all will be fine. Everything I have read on this forum and within the installation instructions are contrary to this advice, so I am a bit concerned about porting my home phone without disassociating my dsl. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

I do have another option however. I have a second independent AT&T landline going into my house that I am keeping. I will not be associating this line to Ooma whatsoever. I talked to Earthlink and they can switch my dsl to this second number for no charge. If I do this, shouldn't I be able to port my home line with Ooma and use the dsl connection from the other landline for my hub connection, or am I missing something here?

I can't wait to get this thing up and running, but I do not want to mess up my internet connection or I will have additional issues with my wife!!

Thanks
Ray
#14343 by scottlindner
Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:01 am
wrxray wrote:I do have another option however. I have a second independent AT&T landline going into my house that I am keeping. I will not be associating this line to Ooma whatsoever. I talked to Earthlink and they can switch my dsl to this second number for no charge. If I do this, shouldn't I be able to port my home line with Ooma and use the dsl connection from the other landline for my hub connection, or am I missing something here?

That makes perfect sense to me. I don't see why that wouldn't work perfectly. Do the DSL switch first, make sure you're happy, then do the port. Seems logical and like it would work. I had to deal with the DSL issue as well, so I am familiar with the challenges in dealing with it. Thankfully you already have a second account to move your DSL to. I didn't so I had to create a new one. Just note that you may need to change your PPP credentials in your router.

wrxray wrote:I can't wait to get this thing up and running, but I do not want to mess up my internet connection or I will have additional issues with my wife!!

That is also the predicament I faced when I went through this. :)

Keep us updated, and welcome to Ooma!

Cheers,
Scott