Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14087 by jjranch
Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:05 am
I have been on the line all day with ooma tech support and no one seems to know the following.

If you have a landline where the number cannot be ported. Can it still be used through ooma? In the book it talks about "provisioning" the number but it sounds like that means reducing phone line features.

I bought the premiere service because I have 2 lines now(1 thru vonage, 1 windstream) I have to keep the landline number (non portable windstream) because I have had it forever and all the family uses it. I was told "provisioning" was possible but now India is saying no......Help!

--Don--
#14089 by murphy
Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:51 am
Is "Windstream" a traditional POTS line or is it a VOIP service.

For POTS, the provisioning mentioned means removing all extra features and adding "Call Forwarding on Busy". You can do that yourself. It doesn't have to be done by ooma.

Most (all) VOIP services have all of the features integrated. They don't have provisioning in the POTS sense. You might be able to disable the extra services yourself. My memory of Vonage was that most if not all of the features could be disabled. If Windstream is VOIP, I would expect it to be similar.
#14090 by bw1
Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:08 pm
Yes, you can use Ooma with your landline. If you selected a new phone number when you activated Ooma, you'll need to call support back and have them configure your Ooma system to use your landline.

I don't know exactly how it works since I've never used it that way myself, but I do know that all local, toll free and 911 calls will go out over the landline and all local toll and long distance calls will use Ooma. You can determine if the system is using Ooma to make the call when you hear the connection tone when it's starting the call and again when it's connected the call.

I would not have anyone from Ooma "provision" the line since you can make the changes yourself through your landline phone company.

Here is more information:
http://cp-ooma.talismaonline.com/articl ... 19&p=12040

You only need Call Forward on Busy if you want to use the Instant Second Line Premier feature and you also need a scout setup for that.
#14091 by scottlindner
Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:11 pm
bw1 wrote:... and all local toll and long distance calls will use Ooma.

I have read this isn't always true. There was someone about a month ago having troubles with Ooma routing calls over the landline that were being billed at a very high local toll call rate.

I used Ooma with an integrated landline for a while. It works fairly well with the exception that some of the advanced features such as blacklist do not work.

Scott
#14094 by WayneDsr
Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:19 pm
I believe you also have to have caller ID enabled on the landline for it to show up in Ooma.

Wayne
#14104 by bw1
Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:36 pm
scottlindner wrote:
bw1 wrote:... and all local toll and long distance calls will use Ooma.

I have read this isn't always true. There was someone about a month ago having troubles with Ooma routing calls over the landline that were being billed at a very high local toll call rate.

I used Ooma with an integrated landline for a while. It works fairly well with the exception that some of the advanced features such as blacklist do not work.

Scott

I had specifically read that there was a way to configure the Ooma to use it for local calls and not the landline. It was a thread that had 2 Ooma moderators respond about it.

I wrote to someone on a thread here and recommended that s/he contact CS and reference that thread to get their Ooma configured that way and the response from CS is that it can't be setup that way.

Which is too bad because I'm sure they're are some that would like to have Ooma and keep their landline for emergencies and to receive calls but use the Ooma for everything else.

I know several people who could use it that way and I can't recommend Ooma to them without that capability.
#14126 by scottlindner
Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:38 am
It doesn't make sense to me. It seems like they need to request complete separation from the landline but leave it plugged into Ooma. Nothing will route over the landline unless Ooma is down.

Scott