Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#14059 by azdesertdawg
Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 pm
bw1 wrote:
azdesertdawg wrote:I just setup my Ooma last night and am having both the issues you mention, port forwarding and connecting to my network from outside. What changes do I need to make?

There are 2 configurations you can try:
1. Place the Ooma hub after the router. If you have call quality issues with this setup you'll need to adjust QOS if your router supports it.

2. Place the Ooma hub before the router and and set the IP address assigned to the router in the DMZ of the hub.

Thanx; I tried the DMZ option since this is where the hub currently is setup. That had no affect.

Since my current network uses a combination of static ip addresses and DHCP assigned addresses, could I not also change the ip of the hub to 192.168.1.5, set the hub DHCP range as desired, turn DHCP services off on the router, then rekey the port forwarding table into the hub?

Another choice may be to change my router and other devices to use the 172.27.35... network numbering?
#14068 by bw1
Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 am
bw1 wrote:
azdesertdawg wrote:There are 2 configurations you can try:
1. Place the Ooma hub after the router. If you have call quality issues with this setup you'll need to adjust QOS if your router supports it.

2. Place the Ooma hub before the router and and set the IP address assigned to the router in the DMZ of the hub.

Thanx; I tried the DMZ option since this is where the hub currently is setup. That had no affect.

Since my current network uses a combination of static ip addresses and DHCP assigned addresses, could I not also change the ip of the hub to 192.168.1.5, set the hub DHCP range as desired, turn DHCP services off on the router, then rekey the port forwarding table into the hub?

Another choice may be to change my router and other devices to use the 172.27.35... network numbering?

Are you sure you got the DMZ setup correctly?

Here's what I have:
On the Advanced Settings page of http://setup.ooma.com:
The IP address of the Ooma hub is 172.27.35.1
The DHCP Configuration Start and End Addresses are both set to 172.27.35.10
The DMZ Address is 172.27.35.10

After reseting the hub and router, the router gets the address 172.27.35.10 and is placed in DMZ and is controlling and allowing access to the rest of the LAN.

Others have set it up differently with the hub after the router and can give more advice on that setup.
#14069 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:07 am
azdesertdawg you might just double check your configuration... The method that bw1 discussed above should eliminate the need to port forward on the ooma unit (DMZ will take care of all port forwards), in fact if you are using DMZ on the ooma don't port forward. You may also need to check your port forwarding on the router as the DMZ on the ooma only gets around ooma's NAT/Firewall and not your router's NAT/Firewall (you should set up your router just as you would if the ooma was never there).

Also in the Qos of the ooma you'll want to enter your actual tested ISP speeds in the inbound and outbound fields or disable them by using "0". The ooma defaults to 384 kbps upload so if you have a phone call the ooma will allocate 130 kbps to the call and cap your LAN upload at 254 kbps (384-130). The download defaults to "0" so this should be disabled but you may consider using this if you do heavy downloads during a phone call.
#14197 by azdesertdawg
Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:31 pm
bw1 wrote:
bw1 wrote:
bw1 wrote:Are you sure you got the DMZ setup correctly?

Here's what I have:
On the Advanced Settings page of http://setup.ooma.com:
The IP address of the Ooma hub is 172.27.35.1
The DHCP Configuration Start and End Addresses are both set to 172.27.35.10
The DMZ Address is 172.27.35.10

After reseting the hub and router, the router gets the address 172.27.35.10 and is placed in DMZ and is controlling and allowing access to the rest of the LAN.

Others have set it up differently with the hub after the router and can give more advice on that setup.

Ok, using this configuration my FTP port 21 is forwarding fine, my Bittorent port 6881 to 6889 forward fine, but my Linksys WVC54GCA Wireless Internet Home Monitoring Camera port 1024 is not working. I can access the camera's video stream from inside the network, but from outside it does not connect. I use no-ip.com for DNS service, but even keying the address direct does not connect. I would like to avoid moving the hub after the router if at all possible.
#14201 by murphy
Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:32 am
I have never used no-ip. I use DynDNS. I have yet to find a router that implements the required protocol properly. It is very likely that your router is sending the private IP address that it got from the hub to no-ip instead of the actual IP address. DynDNS has client software that runs on a 24/7 computer which does the update properly. I would think that no-ip would also have a client available.
#14206 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:41 am
I use ddclient to solve that problem. It can be configured to check your IP address by hitting an external site so it doesn't matter where you run it within your network. I checked and it appears ddclient will work with no-ip.

Cheers,
Scott
#14221 by azdesertdawg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:07 am
murphy wrote:I have never used no-ip. I use DynDNS. I have yet to find a router that implements the required protocol properly. It is very likely that your router is sending the private IP address that it got from the hub to no-ip instead of the actual IP address. DynDNS has client software that runs on a 24/7 computer which does the update properly. I would think that no-ip would also have a client available.

no-ip has the same, client software that runs as a service updating the DNS on a regular basis. The DNS is not the issue, even if I type in the public address it will not connect. FTP using the DNS connects fine.
#14229 by azdesertdawg
Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:55 am
scottlindner wrote:Can you describe your exact problem again? Is this a NAT loopback problem?

Thank you to everyone that responded back to my inquiry. I believe I got the situation fixed. You can test it for me by connecting to http://www.watchchester.com and viewing the streaming video. This is just a webcam we setup to keep an eye on our dog when he was a puppy. Now he's 8 but we leave it up to watch him.

On my router just out of desperation I changed the port forward protocol from Both to TCP and that's when it began working again. All other port forwards are set to Both and work fine, but they are TCP based services such as FTP. I'm sure there is a technical reason why that worked, but I'm just happy being able to see my dog again.

BTW, he's Norwegian Elkhound not German Shepard like lot's of people think.
#14231 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 am
Yep! It's working.

Ahh.. so your web cam is using UDP and you were previously just doing TCP. That makes sense. I would have gone through similar until I figured that one out.

Glad it's all working now.

Scott