Need help with putting ooma before the router

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
grathke

Need help with putting ooma before the router

Post by grathke » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:44 am

Hi,

I've had ooma after my router with what I would say are very good results. Perhaps I should leave well enough alone, however, I'd like to get the best possible results. I've got 20M down with 2M up. The callers notice the voice to be choppy when I am doing uploads at the same time. (Granted these are large uploads). I've adjusted the Q0S on the router BUT that seems to be subtracting bandwidth even when I am not using the phone.

So I'd like to put ooma before the router, and continue to have my router assign the the ip ranges for my network.

I've had issues trying to configure ooma before the router as it seems after I make the changes I find it diffuclt to connect back to ooma. Here are the settings.

NETWORK SETTINGS:
DHCP
XX.217.0.X
XX.217.0.XX
BUILT IN MAC ADDRESS

ADVANCED SETTINGS
HOME PORT 192.168.1.1
DHCP CONFIG
DMZ

Do these look correct, or am I doing saomething wrong ?

Thanks
Glenn

scottlindner

Re: Need help with putting ooma before the router

Post by scottlindner » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:28 am

Put your router in the Ooma Hub's DMZ. I think that'll take care of your needs.

Scott

jimc28352

Post by jimc28352 » Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:31 pm

I've got my Ooma box set up before the router and I haven't changed any settings in my router. Modem>>Ooma>>WRT54GS>>3 Wireless PC's

Do I need to change any router settings? Everything seems to be working ok as is.

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:28 am

jimc28352 wrote:I've got my Ooma box set up before the router and I haven't changed any settings in my router. Modem>>Ooma>>WRT54GS>>3 Wireless PC's

Do I need to change any router settings? Everything seems to be working ok as is.
If it's working fine, you don't need to do anything. That setup works well as Ooma provides QOS to your network only when a phone call is in progress.

Only if you run into issues with port forwarding or needing to connect to your network from outside would you need to make any changes.

Groundhound

Post by Groundhound » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:13 am

azdesertdawg

Post by azdesertdawg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:47 pm

bw1 wrote:
jimc28352 wrote:I've got my Ooma box set up before the router and I haven't changed any settings in my router. Modem>>Ooma>>WRT54GS>>3 Wireless PC's

If it's working fine, you don't need to do anything. That setup works well as Ooma provides QOS to your network only when a phone call is in progress.

Only if you run into issues with port forwarding or needing to connect to your network from outside would you need to make any changes.
I just setup my Ooma last night and am having both the issues you mention, port forwarding and connecting to my network from outside. What changes do I need to make?

bw1

Post by bw1 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:04 pm

azdesertdawg wrote: I just setup my Ooma last night and am having both the issues you mention, port forwarding and connecting to my network from outside. What changes do I need to make?
There are 2 configurations you can try:
1. Place the Ooma hub after the router. If you have call quality issues with this setup you'll need to adjust QOS if your router supports it.

2. Place the Ooma hub before the router and and set the IP address assigned to the router in the DMZ of the hub.

azdesertdawg

Post by azdesertdawg » Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:53 pm

bw1 wrote:
azdesertdawg wrote: I just setup my Ooma last night and am having both the issues you mention, port forwarding and connecting to my network from outside. What changes do I need to make?
There are 2 configurations you can try:
1. Place the Ooma hub after the router. If you have call quality issues with this setup you'll need to adjust QOS if your router supports it.

2. Place the Ooma hub before the router and and set the IP address assigned to the router in the DMZ of the hub.
Thanx; I tried the DMZ option since this is where the hub currently is setup. That had no affect.

Since my current network uses a combination of static ip addresses and DHCP assigned addresses, could I not also change the ip of the hub to 192.168.1.5, set the hub DHCP range as desired, turn DHCP services off on the router, then rekey the port forwarding table into the hub?

Another choice may be to change my router and other devices to use the 172.27.35... network numbering?

bw1

Post by bw1 » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:54 am

bw1 wrote:
azdesertdawg wrote: There are 2 configurations you can try:

Thanx; I tried the DMZ option since this is where the hub currently is setup. That had no affect.

Since my current network uses a combination of static ip addresses and DHCP assigned addresses, could I not also change the ip of the hub to 192.168.1.5, set the hub DHCP range as desired, turn DHCP services off on the router, then rekey the port forwarding table into the hub?

Another choice may be to change my router and other devices to use the 172.27.35... network numbering?
Are you sure you got the DMZ setup correctly?

Here's what I have:
On the Advanced Settings page of http://setup.ooma.com:
The IP address of the Ooma hub is 172.27.35.1
The DHCP Configuration Start and End Addresses are both set to 172.27.35.10
The DMZ Address is 172.27.35.10

After reseting the hub and router, the router gets the address 172.27.35.10 and is placed in DMZ and is controlling and allowing access to the rest of the LAN.

Others have set it up differently with the hub after the router and can give more advice on that setup.

Aveamantium

Post by Aveamantium » Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:07 am

azdesertdawg you might just double check your configuration... The method that bw1 discussed above should eliminate the need to port forward on the ooma unit (DMZ will take care of all port forwards), in fact if you are using DMZ on the ooma don't port forward. You may also need to check your port forwarding on the router as the DMZ on the ooma only gets around ooma's NAT/Firewall and not your router's NAT/Firewall (you should set up your router just as you would if the ooma was never there).

Also in the Qos of the ooma you'll want to enter your actual tested ISP speeds in the inbound and outbound fields or disable them by using "0". The ooma defaults to 384 kbps upload so if you have a phone call the ooma will allocate 130 kbps to the call and cap your LAN upload at 254 kbps (384-130). The download defaults to "0" so this should be disabled but you may consider using this if you do heavy downloads during a phone call.
Go AVS!