Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13830 by gerald145
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:00 pm
I have my Hub up and running a could not be happier with the service. Here is my setup:

Comcast cable with the standard setup per the instructions and a cordless phone set connected to the phone jack on the Hub.
Landlines were AT&T but I have disconnected the service.

My questions is do I plug the Scout into one of my house phone jacks and then plug the phone into the Scout? I don't understand how the Scout communicates with the Hub if the Scout is not connected to the ethernet network. Thanks.

Gerald..
#13831 by southsound
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:05 pm
gerald145 wrote:My questions is do I plug the Scout into one of my house phone jacks and then plug the phone into the Scout? I don't understand how the Scout communicates with the Hub if the Scout is not connected to the ethernet network. Thanks.

Gerald..

That would certainly work just fine. The scout and hub communicate over phone lines (especially dead ones) using HPNA. You may want to make sure that the telco lines are disconnected at the interface box on the outside of your house - this will eliminate a source of problems with voltage or noise. Usually it is as simple as unplugging the short cable in the box or with the newer ones, swinging the hinged jack out of the way.

There are additional considerations if you want to send your ooma signal over your old phone wires either with or without the scout, but for now, this will work.

Welcome to ooma! You're going to like it here! :cool:
#13832 by gerald145
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:09 pm
So if I understand you correctly I should plug the Hub into one of my phone jacks and then the Scout will communicate with the Hub over the phoneline?
#13833 by murphy
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:17 pm
Connect the Wall port of the hub to a phone jack and connect the Wall port of the Scout to a phone jack. They will then communicate over your house wiring.
#13834 by southsound
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:24 pm
<<thanks, Murphy. I had stepped out to do some work in the garage.>>
#13835 by gerald145
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:26 pm
What excellent support! I am most impressed with ooma. Wish I could buy some stock. I appreciate your very quick and clear reply to my question. Have a blessed day.

Gerald..
#13836 by Aveamantium
Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:28 pm
For the most part, the support you'll get in these forums is from the friendly ooma owners (don't work for ooma) that just enjoy helping others out! ;)