Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#743 by CharlesW
Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:27 pm
Hello,

In an effort to shake out some call quality issues, I'm going to connect my Ooma directly to my cable modem (and then my wireless router to my Ooma.)

Problem: I set the IP address of the Ooma's Home port to 192.168.1.2 (my router is 192.168.1.1). However, I can't get to Ooma Setup unless I have a PC directly connected to the Home port, which is very inconvenient.

Why doesn't this work? No other devices are using that IP address, since neither the Ooma's DHCP server (which I really wish I could turn off, BTW) and the router's DHCP server hand out IP addresses in that range.

-- Charles
#744 by CharlesW
Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:46 pm
Ugh, I spoke too soon. I discovered that I couldn't to the internet at all from anything that's wasn't connected directly to the Home port of the Ooma.

So, I gave the Ooma back it's original IP address and DHCP settings, and I'm back where I started.

Here's my actual problem: I need to forward ports for games, etc. The Ooma will not let me do this to anything except a device on the same subnet. (My devices are at 192.168.1.x, and I don't want to change them since lots of stuff will break.)

Also, does anyone foresee any difficulties with just setting my router's external IP address as the Ooma DMZ address and then use the router to handle port forwarding?

-- Charles
#746 by trim81
Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:54 pm
Here is how I setup my Ooma...

Leave the OOma at DEFAULT, do not change anything for the IP settings.

1) On the Ooma, set the appropiate ISP credentials (no need to change anything if you have DHCP from your ISP...place PPOE if you need to.

2) On the Ooma, place 172.35.27.10 to DMZ, and on your Wireless Router, make it become a STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10

3) On the Ooma, set the appropiate QOS settings. Save

4) On your ROUTER, set it to STATIC IP of 172.35.27.10 (and DNS...I use OpenDNS), so user 208.67.222.222 DNS1, 208.67.220.220 DNS2. Save

** What this essentially does is, your ooma will go before your router, and the OOma will be your core QOS. And the 172.35.27.10 address will be DMZed and ALL ports will flow freely to your router.

With this setup, you use your router as normal. No need to change any settings on your LAN.
#749 by Dennis P
Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:52 pm
CharlesW - you are on the right path. Set the router's external IP address as the DMZ address on your ooma system. Then let your router handle the port forwarding for the other devices in your household. We plan to make the DMZ default to the first address in the DHCP pool so that user's don't have to do this manually...
#777 by CharlesW
Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:12 am
trim81 and Dennis P: Many thanks for your guidance!

I set Ooma's DMZ to 192.168.1.1 (the router's normal address), and all is working great.

Dennis P wrote:We plan to make the DMZ default to the first address in the DHCP pool so that user's don't have to do this manually...

Cool.

-- Charles
#1534 by plasmo
Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:35 pm
CharlesW-

it looks like i'm having a similar problem... cannot get my Webserver to be accessable to the outside world with ooma .

i'm assuming you got your problem fixed by now, and I was wondering if you could clarify your full setup -

do you have your setup like:

ISP Modem --> ooma --> Router --> computer
or

ISP Modem --> Router --> ooma --> computer ?

I tried it both ways, and get problems with both....

I tried following trim81's directions above, but I cannot change
certain configurations because they are not in the same subnet (192.x.x.x vs. 172.x.x.x)
eg: "Home IP Address and DHCP range are not in the same subnet."

any help appreciated...thanks
#2761 by dknyinva
Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:28 pm
plasmo wrote:CharlesW-

it looks like i'm having a similar problem... cannot get my Webserver to be accessable to the outside world with ooma .

i'm assuming you got your problem fixed by now, and I was wondering if you could clarify your full setup -

do you have your setup like:

ISP Modem --> ooma --> Router --> computer
or

ISP Modem --> Router --> ooma --> computer ?

I tried it both ways, and get problems with both....

I tried following trim81's directions above, but I cannot change
certain configurations because they are not in the same subnet (192.x.x.x vs. 172.x.x.x)
eg: "Home IP Address and DHCP range are not in the same subnet."

any help appreciated...thanks
I have the exact same problem. I started a thread here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=647&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=0
Hoping someone on this thread can help us out.

Thanks