Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13576 by rsuryase
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:29 pm
I lose internet connection whenever a call comes in, with hub either behind or in front router, the difference is when hub is behind router, the call gets disconnected and internet connection resumes, but with hub in front of router, call stays connected but internet loses connection until call ends.

I was reading this post because the problem is similar to mine but the solution did not work.
viewtopic.php?f=2&p=12955

I noticed that the router WLAN(wireless) light goes off first whenever a call comes in, then the WAN light. So I turned off WLAN and everything seems to work fine. I have a 2.4 GHz cordless phone next to the router, my router is 802.11g and it operates on 2.4GHz, so there seems to be a conflict according to this post.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1870&p=11970

Is there anyway I can have wireless internet and use a cordless phone at the same time?

I have DSL.
#13578 by southsound
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:35 pm
rsuryase wrote: Is there anyway I can have wireless internet and use a cordless phone at the same time?

Yes! What you need to do is replace the 2.4ghz phone with a DECT 6.0 phone. Recommended brands are Uniden and Panasonic. They operate on 1.9ghz and will NOT interfere with your wireless network. I have a Plantronics 2.4ghz headset phone that is a brute when it comes to killing the network - so I wired up my laptop in my office for the times I use it there. But the rest of the phones in the house are Uniden DECT 6.0 phones - and they work great. Another advantage with the Unidens is that they support multiple handsets and even have an intercom function. You just plug the base into the phone jack on the hub and your house is taken care of.

And lest I forget, welcome to ooma! :cool:
#13579 by southsound
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:36 pm
atici wrote:Yes, you can buy a new phone or router.

Go for the phone instead of the router - even the new wireless N routers have legacy support that is killed by 2.4ghz phones. And also avoid the 5.8ghz ones as some use 2.4ghz for signaling.
#13581 by southsound
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:44 pm
southsound wrote:even the new wireless N routers have legacy support that is killed by 2.4ghz phones.

Let me think - get a new router that is still going to do the same thing or replace the old 2.4ghz phones with new ones that will give you better clarity, more handsets, no interference, more features (system wide address book, etc.).

That would be a really hard choice for me. (Just joking - maybe you didn't read my post before you asked about which router to buy).
#13583 by southsound
Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:13 pm
I bought my 2 handset Uniden 1588-2 at Costco for just $40 - but they had a nice 5 handset model ( I think it was Panasonic for about $100. The 900mhz phones do work fine but they may not have all of the features the new DECT 6.0 ones have. Mine even has a speakerphone built in to each handset and you can bring others into a call (if you and some one else want to hear at the same time but don't want to use the speakerphone).
#13586 by atici
Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:46 pm
Get a Panasonic DECT 6.0 phone. They are quite cheap at Amazon -- I got mine with two handsets for $70. 900Mhz ones are from a different era. It's not worth the $15 you'll probably save.