Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13455 by altan
Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:21 pm
For various reasons, I'm moving my ooma hub behind my router. I'll setup QoS on the router. In doing this move, it became apparent that I can no longer access the ooma http pages. I have the ooma modem connector going to my router.

While it makes sense that you cannot, by default, access the ooma status from the modem port (security), it seems there is no setting that allows me to enable this.

Am I missing the right setting or is it impossible to access the ooma http hub pages when connected behind a router?

The only reason I'd want to access these pages is to get a quick status of the ooma hub and make sure all is well.

Oh, I briefly toyed around with connecting the ooma to the router via the home/lan port, but that clearly doesn't work because the ooma (sadly) waits to be the DHCP server (and probably some other reasons I didn't discover yet).

Thanks

... Altan
http://www.aaarpinball.com
#13461 by WayneDsr
Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:51 pm
Connect a pc or laptop to the HOME port of ooma. Log into setup.ooma.com and add it's ip to the DMZ field. It should be 172.27.35.1

After that you can log into setup.ooma.com using either that ip or the ip your router assigned to ooma.

Keep in mind, if you ever put ooma between the router and the modem, remove this entry for security reasons.

Wayne
#13507 by daet
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:24 am
WayneDsr wrote:After that you can log into setup.ooma.com using either that ip or the ip your router assigned to ooma.

If your router supports it, you can map "setup.ooma.com" to the IP address assigned to ooma by the router. For example, with dd-wrt, enable dnsmasq (under the services tab), and use it for the mapping.

DG
#13590 by dknyinva
Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:42 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Connect a pc or laptop to the HOME port of ooma. Log into setup.ooma.com and add it's ip to the DMZ field. It should be 172.27.35.1

After that you can log into setup.ooma.com using either that ip or the ip your router assigned to ooma.

Keep in mind, if you ever put ooma between the router and the modem, remove this entry for security reasons.

Wayne

What kind of security issue if my ooma setup sitting behind my cable modem and infront of my router? I can't get my ooma to work behind my router, so support engineer recommend this method. In the advanced settings I have as followed:

Home Port (IP Addr/Netmask) - 172.27.35.1/255.255.255.0
DHCP Configuration (Start/End) - 172.27.35.2/172.27.35.2
DMZ (DMZ Address) - 172.27.35.2

Thanks
#13599 by ggilman
Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:36 pm
dknyinva wrote:What kind of security issue if my ooma setup sitting behind my cable modem and infront of my router? I can't get my ooma to work behind my router, so support engineer recommend this method. In the advanced settings I have as followed:

Home Port (IP Addr/Netmask) - 172.27.35.1/255.255.255.0
DHCP Configuration (Start/End) - 172.27.35.2/172.27.35.2
DMZ (DMZ Address) - 172.27.35.2

Thanks

I'm assuming your router is sitting at 172.27.35.2 from your setup. In which case, you aren't exposing yourself to any particular security issues. Effectively, the dmz from the ooma to your router makes it just as if your router itself is on the net. So, you have two devices that are exposed on the network (ooma & router) but both devices are built to be exposed so it's no big deal. Assuming there's not some other setting that you are neglecting to mention that is causing issues, you should be perfectly fine. Your PCs inside your network are protected by the router, nothing you have posted should leave them exposed. This is pretty much how I have my network set up currently.