Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13938 by jmassimilla
Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:08 am
scottlindner wrote:I missed that point. Many of us have separate modems and routers, so in that case it is common to put the Ooma Hub ahead of the router, but obviously not in front of the modem.

Can this router be put into fully (transparent) bridging?

I'm really not sure on that. I'm guessing not as that router also obtains the program guide and pay-per-view data for the TV service. I've found this service to be excellent for internet. No bandwidth issues because, unlike cable, you're not sharing your bandwidth with your neighbors. It's a straight fiber-to-the-home from the central office setup.
#13940 by scottlindner
Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:30 am
jmassimilla wrote:
scottlindner wrote:I missed that point. Many of us have separate modems and routers, so in that case it is common to put the Ooma Hub ahead of the router, but obviously not in front of the modem.

Can this router be put into fully (transparent) bridging?

I'm really not sure on that. I'm guessing not as that router also obtains the program guide and pay-per-view data for the TV service. I've found this service to be excellent for internet. No bandwidth issues because, unlike cable, you're not sharing your bandwidth with your neighbors. It's a straight fiber-to-the-home from the central office setup.

Got it. It doesn't really matter, but it sounds like it's a bit more than a router as well. I don't believe the straight fiber from the CO matters in terms of routing. I think all that means is it should have very good service.

I think the OP needs to buy a switch to get more ports since they are dependent on the FIOS router, and need more ports than it provides.

Scott
#14130 by grathke
Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:12 am
Hi,

After reading your two good posts, especially the one with the images, I'm wondering why I'm able to get to the ooma setup with 192.168.1.2 and only using the modem port.

I too am using modem, router, but only 1 switch, ooma.

My router is the usual 192.168.1.1 with 255,255,255,0. I manually assign a server to 192.168.1.100, and start the dhcp at 192.168.1.200 on the router.

I don't have anything connected to the home port. I've set up the Network tab similar to you but left the subnet to 255,255,255,0, and left the default settings for the Advanced tab except I did put the ooma 172.27.35.1 in ooma's DMZ. Not sureif that makes a difference

From anywhere on the network I can get to the hub with 192.168.1.1

Glenn

Bobby B wrote:Hi chicago29,

In your setup, are you trying to access ooma's setup page from the MODEM port instead of the HOME port? If you connect a computer directly to the HOME port can you access ooma's setup page? For security purposes, the setup page can only be accessed from the HOME port.

Depending on the type of switch you have, you might be able to work around this problem by connecting the HOME port to the switch, however you'll need to configure your switch such that the HOME port and MODEM port are on different network subnets.

What kind of switches are you using in your network?

Thanks,
Bobby
#14131 by Aveamantium
Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:28 am
grathke wrote:Hi,

After reading your two good posts, especially the one with the images, I'm wondering why I'm able to get to the ooma setup with 192.168.1.2 and only using the modem port.

I too am using modem, router, but only 1 switch, ooma.

My router is the usual 192.168.1.1 with 255,255,255,0. I manually assign a server to 192.168.1.100, and start the dhcp at 192.168.1.200 on the router.

I don't have anything connected to the home port. I've set up the Network tab similar to you but left the subnet to 255,255,255,0, and left the default settings for the Advanced tab except I did put the ooma 172.27.35.1 in ooma's DMZ. Not sureif that makes a difference

From anywhere on the network I can get to the hub with 192.168.1.1

Glenn

Bobby B wrote:Hi chicago29,

In your setup, are you trying to access ooma's setup page from the MODEM port instead of the HOME port? If you connect a computer directly to the HOME port can you access ooma's setup page? For security purposes, the setup page can only be accessed from the HOME port.

Depending on the type of switch you have, you might be able to work around this problem by connecting the HOME port to the switch, however you'll need to configure your switch such that the HOME port and MODEM port are on different network subnets.

What kind of switches are you using in your network?

Thanks,
Bobby

You are able to access the ooma from 192.168.1.2 because you put the IP of ooma's home port into the DMZ of the ooma hub. Basically you opened a hole in ooma's firewall that will pass packets from the ooma's modem port to the ooma's home port. This is why you only want to do this if the ooma hub is behind your router. If you put it in front of your router then you could access the setup page of your ooma hub from anywhere on the internet.
#14132 by niknak
Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:31 am
...If you put it in front of your router then you could access the setup page of your ooma hub from anywhere on the internet...

and potentially any computer on your network!
#31613 by beaver
Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:50 pm
Setup was easy for me. But I wouldn't follow the manual since it doesn't address "installation" from Chapter 1. Without installation, Chapter 1 talks about phone call in/out. I believe that's why some average users complaint.

first I tried
Cable Modem ---> Ooma Hub ---> Phone.

then tried (my favorite)
Cable Modem ---> Linksys Router ---> Ooma Hub ---> Phone. using DHCP

Either way it's working fine. I have been using pap2 voip 5 ~ 6 years. in my viewpoint, looks ooma is not better than my pap2.

two issues:
1. as said, I am using DHCP. Static IP wouldn't work for my setting. Cable Modem ---> Linksys Router ---> Ooma Hub ---> Phone.
Is these any way I could use static IP? before ooma started, my home networking was using static ip (all PCs and ip devices, like pap2).

2. any way I could access ooma hub homepage? can I make some changes there (I didn't get there so far). I have no problem to access my pap2 homepage and change it.

Thanks,

-beaver
#31622 by murphy
Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:56 am
Connect a computer to the ooma hub's Home port and connect to http://setup.ooma.com to access the ooma configuration pages.
#32360 by beaver
Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:28 pm
Thanks murphy.

I now can play ooma hub like playing pap2. I have verified its voice quality between my office and my home. pretty good. if only refer to voice quality, ooma is as good as any top voip vendor.

Like many reviews mentioned, ooma hub offers BASIC voip services. seems ViaTalk (a voip vendor) offering more features. but it's $200 a year.
hopefully my ooma runs more than, at least, two years. I wish I could block phone spams, setup ring tunes...
#32362 by murphy
Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:24 am
beaver wrote:Thanks murphy.

I now can play ooma hub like playing pap2. I have verified its voice quality between my office and my home. pretty good. if only refer to voice quality, ooma is as good as any top voip vendor.

Like many reviews mentioned, ooma hub offers BASIC voip services. seems ViaTalk (a voip vendor) offering more features. but it's $200 a year.
hopefully my ooma runs more than, at least, two years. I wish I could block phone spams, setup ring tunes...

You can if you buy the Premier service.
#32366 by lchan
Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:21 am
jmassimilla wrote:The FIOS router is a wireless modem/router.

FiOS does not need a modem. The FiOS router is just a ordinary wireless router.