Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#736 by chicago29
Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:32 am
Hi,

I have a pretty complicated network set up:

modem --> router --> switch 1 --> switch 2 --> ooma hub

Installation was a breeze and everything works fine. However, I cannot access the ooma hub setup page via the web browser. I'm sure it is because DNS cannot resolve setup.ooma.com.

I thought I could access it via the ooma's IP address on my network, but no luck (http://192.168.1.138).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Chicago29
#737 by Bobby B
Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:45 am
Hi chicago29,

In your setup, are you trying to access ooma's setup page from the MODEM port instead of the HOME port? If you connect a computer directly to the HOME port can you access ooma's setup page? For security purposes, the setup page can only be accessed from the HOME port.

Depending on the type of switch you have, you might be able to work around this problem by connecting the HOME port to the switch, however you'll need to configure your switch such that the HOME port and MODEM port are on different network subnets.

What kind of switches are you using in your network?

Thanks,
Bobby
#738 by chicago29
Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:58 am
The switches are a D-Link DGS-2208 and a D-Link DGS-2205.

If I connected the HOME port on the ooma device directly to my computer, I was able to access the configuration screen.

However, I can't keep that in place as I am using the network port on the computer to connect to the internet.

I just changed things up a bit as I plugged the ooma device into my wireless router as I didn't know I had a free port on it. However I still have the issue getting to the configuration screen.

The ability to run another network cable from the ooma HOME port to another free port on the router or switch sounds promising (where I'd have to make one of the ports on another network subnet). Is that something that is easy to do, and do you know of any site that outlines how to accomplish this?

Thank You!
Chicago29
#739 by Bobby B
Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:48 pm
Hi chicago29,

Attached is a diagram on how you can use subnetting on the ooma Hub so that you can access the HOME port. Generally this setup isn't used because most users that need to modify ooma's default settings access the page once and never touch it again. Also, feel free to call ooma support if you need any help stepping through this.

1. Connect the HOME port of the ooma Hub to your PC and enter setup.ooma.com.
2. Configure the HOME port of the ooma Hub as shown in the screenshot. In this case IP addresses 192.168.1.129-192.168.1.140 are reserved for the "HOME" port. You can adjust the range as necessary.
3. Configure the MODEM port as shown in the screenshot -- you'll set a static IP with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.128. You'll also need to fill in your DNS server info...
4. On your router make sure you configure your DHCP settings to exclude ranges in the 192.168.1.129-192.168.1.140 (this basically prevents your router from handing out addresses in this space to other devices).
5. Leave your computers (in the example, the computer has an IP address of 192.168.1.2) and routers as they are already connected in the network.
6. Connect the HOME port and MODEM port to the back of your router (OR switch if you ran out of ports on the router).
7. You should be able to type "http://192.168.1.129" and connect to the ooma setup page.
Attachments
Picture 46.png
sample MODEM config
Picture 46.png (35.66 KiB) Viewed 20336 times
Picture 44.png
sample IPs
Picture 44.png (42.39 KiB) Viewed 20338 times
connecting-hub.jpg
Setting up two subnets.
connecting-hub.jpg (35.98 KiB) Viewed 20338 times
#13909 by PaulD
Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:45 am
I have a Verizon FiOS router, and my Ooma hub is plugged into one of its ports. The PC that is plugged into the Ooma hub can no longer access any of my other computers. I'm assuming this is because all my computers are in the address range 192.168.1.x and the Ooma hub isn't.

Are the above instructions designed to address this issue?
#13910 by scottlindner
Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:01 am
PaulD wrote:I have a Verizon FiOS router, and my Ooma hub is plugged into one of its ports. The PC that is plugged into the Ooma hub can no longer access any of my other computers. I'm assuming this is because all my computers are in the address range 192.168.1.x and the Ooma hub isn't.

Are the above instructions designed to address this issue?


Don't plug your computer into the Ooma Hub. It isn't a networking Hub (or switch), it is a router. You have a router behind a router which is creating two LANs. It is a double NAT scenario.

There are two solutions. Put your Ooma Hub first and router second, or put you Ooma Hub after router and plug nothing networked into the Ooma Hub.

Scott
#13912 by PaulD
Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:16 am
scottlindner wrote:
PaulD wrote:I have a Verizon FiOS router, and my Ooma hub is plugged into one of its ports. The PC that is plugged into the Ooma hub can no longer access any of my other computers. I'm assuming this is because all my computers are in the address range 192.168.1.x and the Ooma hub isn't.

Are the above instructions designed to address this issue?


Don't plug your computer into the Ooma Hub. It isn't a networking Hub (or switch), it is a router. You have a router behind a router which is creating two LANs. It is a double NAT scenario.

There are two solutions. Put your Ooma Hub first and router second, or put you Ooma Hub after router and plug nothing networked into the Ooma Hub.

Scott


I have no spare ports to plug my computer into.

So if I plug in the Ooma hub in ahead of the router, I'll be able to access my other computers, but what new issues will I face? Inability to do online gaming, perhaps? Inability for my DVR to download daily schedule updates?
#13916 by scottlindner
Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:25 pm
PaulD wrote:
scottlindner wrote:
PaulD wrote:I have a Verizon FiOS router, and my Ooma hub is plugged into one of its ports. The PC that is plugged into the Ooma hub can no longer access any of my other computers. I'm assuming this is because all my computers are in the address range 192.168.1.x and the Ooma hub isn't.

Are the above instructions designed to address this issue?


Don't plug your computer into the Ooma Hub. It isn't a networking Hub (or switch), it is a router. You have a router behind a router which is creating two LANs. It is a double NAT scenario.

There are two solutions. Put your Ooma Hub first and router second, or put you Ooma Hub after router and plug nothing networked into the Ooma Hub.

Scott


I have no spare ports to plug my computer into.

So if I plug in the Ooma hub in ahead of the router, I'll be able to access my other computers, but what new issues will I face? Inability to do online gaming, perhaps? Inability for my DVR to download daily schedule updates?


There are few limitations people have with putting the Ooma Hub ahead of their router. The situations you explained would not be a problem. I think the most notable is NAT loopback.

The simplest solution is to place your router the the DMZ of the Ooma Hub. That would be the fastest way to keep everything the same as you have today. If you face troubles that cannot be resolved then it's time to consider other options. If you have enough devices, you may want to consider adding a switch to your network anyway.

Scott
#13936 by jmassimilla
Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:48 am
The FIOS router is a wireless modem/router. You wouldn't be able to put Ooma ahead of it. I also have FIOS with 20/5 mbs speeds. I've found, in my case, no need to access the hub for any reason as there have been no QOS issues to deal with.
#13937 by scottlindner
Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:50 am
I missed that point. Many of us have separate modems and routers, so in that case it is common to put the Ooma Hub ahead of the router, but obviously not in front of the modem.

Can this router be put into fully (transparent) bridging?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests