Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13519 by atici
Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:13 am
Yes you are making a mistake somewhere. If you have modem->router->ooma (which is what you should have for maximum throughput) you should observe almost no drop in bandwidth. I suggest you keep your ooma because your problem is easy to solve. Make sure your connections are right.

Also how did you test your speed drops from 7 to 2.5Mbps? Are you running this test on your computer with no other network applications or are you just copying the numbers from the Netflix Roku box ? If latter, it's likely your netflix connection is slow. I also have the roku box and and have large bandwidth but sometimes netflix servers are too busy to deliver content at desired speed.
#13541 by iserum
Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:37 am
when i do test i make sure network is not in use, i.e no netflix or game downloads, i use my PC to do test, i have tivo box for netflix. there is nothing connected from Ooma to PC.

On side note what does the USB port on OOMA device do?
#13543 by bw1
Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:50 am
You should try a test by removing everything from your network, except modem, ooma and a computer and a corded phone.

From other posts it looks like you have cable ISP, so you have the RJ6 cable line connected to the cable modem, ethernet cable connected from the cable modem to the modem port on the ooma hub, another ethernet cable connected from the home port on the ooma hub to the ethernet port on your one computer (no router, no TIVO, no netflix, etc.) and a corded phone connected to the phone port on the ooma hub.

Try a speed test with and without a phone call in progress with that setup and see if there is any improvement. If there is, start adding back components of your network until you see a problem and then you'll have the issue pinpointed.

If there is no improvement, I would contact your cable company and have them "roll" a service call. If a service call and possibly a new cable modem or wiring changes don't fix the issue, you could call ooma customer support and see if they can determine an issue or send a new ooma hub to try.
#13570 by iserum
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:10 pm
my cable company has changed wiring from box to house and internal cable inside house, there was jitter problem earlier it has been resolved. i never had any of these issues before i started using ooma (two weeks ago), i am using Vonage since 2005 with out any problems, even though there was jitter on my line vonage service was never an issue. i have connected ooma after router now, i made few phone calls today they were ok (acceptable but not great) and my download speeds were down to 3Mbps. i also tried vonage with ooma out of my network and there was no drop in internet speed. i will do some other tests as you have suggested. When i do test it use average number over period of time to come up with conclusion not a one time deal.
#13665 by scottlindner
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:45 pm
niknak wrote:
iserum wrote:On side note what does the USB port on OOMA device do?

nothing

Couldn't you use it for charging USB based cell phones?
#13670 by southsound
Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:58 pm
scottlindner wrote:
niknak wrote:
iserum wrote:On side note what does the USB port on OOMA device do?

nothing

Couldn't you use it for charging USB based cell phones?

I know it won't work for my iPod Touch 2nd generation.
#67910 by tajson
Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:04 pm
I know that my Motorola cell phone will not charge either but if I load a certain Texas Instruments driver on my computer the USB port will charge my cell phone. There is no data transfer but charging.
#67911 by murphy
Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:14 pm
The item that you are trying to charge must draw less than 0.5 amperes or the port will shut down. That is a requirement of the USB specifications.