Surge protection

Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
cbeck

Surge protection

Post by cbeck » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:42 pm

Maybe I missed it, but the installation guides do not mention anything about using surge protection. I received an Ooma unit and installed it (without cable surge protection) and it worked flawlessly for about a week. After a severe lightening storm, the unit stopped working. My ethernet card also failed and had to be replaced. I now have another Ooma unit to replace it, but I wanted to advise anyone out there who wants to maintain reliability to use surge protection not only for your electrical lines, but the DSL or cable connection as well. Unless I am missing something, the manual should emphasize this as well.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

ggilman

Re: Surge protection

Post by ggilman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Haven't had any issues related to the ooma, but if you have any device that is costly to replace, you really need a surge suppressor. This is true regardless of device. All of today's electronics use similar electronic components that are very susceptible to large power spikes.

I actually have a number of UPSes holding my computer, router, and other networking components (not to mention another for my TV/DVD player). In addition to providing power conditioning, the UPS will make sure I don't loose a phone connection if the power fluctuates for just a second.

ggilman

Re: Surge protection

Post by ggilman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:02 pm

And as you are saying, I fully agree. Not only your power lines but any connection from the wall to your device should be protected. Ethernet, phone, cable, or other.