Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#13037 by ig888ack
Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:36 pm
I set up my ooma system back in january of this year. things worked great. I recently swapped from cable internet to dsl. since the change, ooma still works fine and i have internet connectivity but none of my port forwardings are working. My setup is phone line -> motorola 2210 dsl modem -> ooma hub -> linksys wrt160n -> PCs. I did not make any changes going from cable to dsl on my ooma or linksys router. the router is still getting the correct IP address and ooma still has it set as the dmz. the ports are still forwarded correctly on the router. I can only assume that the motorola 2210 dsl modem is blocking some ports. The problem is i don't know how to log into the dsl modem. I can't figure out the IP address! i can do a tracert and when it gets to the hop for the modem it just shows * instead of the ip.

Any ideas where i can start looking? I know this is not specifically an ooma question but i didn't know if i needed to enter any kind of username and password in the ooma hub configuration or anything. I have not entered any of that info and like i said, everything (my two ooma lines, and internet access) is working except the ports i need forwarded.

Thanks in advance for the help!
#13045 by scottlindner
Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:13 am
Most DSL modems are actually routers, so you might be in a double NAT situation. I didn't read the details on your DSL modem, but assuming that it is a router there are a couple of options. Put your router in the DSL modem's DMZ. Port forward all important ports on the DSL modem to your router. Put your DSL modem in a fully bridged (RFC 1483) mode and let your router handle the PPPoE authentication. There are probably others, but those are the options to consider.

Scott
#13048 by ig888ack
Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:27 am
Groundhound wrote:Perhaps here: http://forums.techarena.in/networking-s ... ost4435395

I found a similar article and tried to get to the 192.168.1.254 address but nothing comes up. Could this be because my linksys wireless router is also handing out addresses in that range? Would I possibly need to hook up a computer directly behind the ooma hub temporarily to get to the dsl modem/router - make my configuration changes - then hook everything back up?
#13049 by ig888ack
Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:29 am
scottlindner wrote:Put your router in the DSL modem's DMZ.

I currently have my router in the dmz on the ooma hub. If i went the route quoted above, would I need to put the ooma hub in the dmz of the dsl modem or the linksys router?
#13050 by Groundhound
Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:33 am
ig888ack wrote:
Groundhound wrote:Perhaps here: http://forums.techarena.in/networking-s ... ost4435395

I found a similar article and tried to get to the 192.168.1.254 address but nothing comes up. Could this be because my linksys wireless router is also handing out addresses in that range? Would I possibly need to hook up a computer directly behind the ooma hub temporarily to get to the dsl modem/router - make my configuration changes - then hook everything back up?

That's what I would try.
#13097 by scottlindner
Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:07 pm
ig888ack wrote:
scottlindner wrote:Put your router in the DSL modem's DMZ.

I currently have my router in the dmz on the ooma hub. If i went the route quoted above, would I need to put the ooma hub in the dmz of the dsl modem or the linksys router?

I don't know if that works, maybe it does. Can you double DMZ things like that?

Another option is to forward the ports on your DSL modem. Just to test the theory.

Scott