Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12792 by blueheelercd
Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:58 pm
Hi,
I have a cable modem.

No active land lines. (vontage had me unplug them from that terminal outside the house???)

I do not have Premier,( if that means anything?)

I've tried several jacks.

I tested the scout, it works.

It will not work in another room when the hub is connected into the wall, and the scout into another jack?

Tech support said the scout would use the copper wiring in the phone lines to read the hub.

What do I do now?

Thanks!
#12793 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:17 pm
Assuming your hub is working, please tell us what the following are connected to:

Hub Wall Port
Hub Phone Port

Scout Wall Port
Scout Phone Port
#12795 by blueheelercd
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:49 pm
okay:

HUB WALL PORT: GOES INTO WALL to old land line JACK NEXT TO HUB

HUB PORT PHONE: GOES INTO PHONE

SCOUT WALL PORT: TO ANOTHER WALL JACK IN ANOTHER ROOM

SCOUT PHONE PORT: JACK GOES TO THE OTHER PHONE I WANT TO WORK

right?
#12796 by but2002
Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:53 pm
blueheelercd wrote:okay:

HUB WALL PORT: GOES INTO WALL to old land line JACK NEXT TO HUB

HUB PORT PHONE: GOES INTO PHONE

SCOUT WALL PORT: TO ANOTHER WALL JACK IN ANOTHER ROOM

SCOUT PHONE PORT: JACK GOES TO THE OTHER PHONE I WANT TO WORK

right?

Indeed that is correct.

Did the other phone jack work before when you have Vonage?
#12798 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:05 pm
Sounds like there is a wiring issue between the two jacks in question. I would check continuity between these jacks.
Or you could connect the hub's phone port to one jack and your phone to the other jack as an experiment (no scout). If the wiring is correct you should have dial tone on the other jack.
#12801 by blueheelercd
Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:27 pm
you lost me:

i never used the wall port at all before trying to hook up the scout?

so:

hub's phone port: telephone wire from it to the other wall jack in the other room, plug it into the room wall jack, no phone?

the hub's wall port is still going into the same wall jacK?

or i take it out?

so where am i plugging in the phone?

and:
what would be the other way to test the connectivity
between the origional phone lines?

how would they become bad ?
#12802 by Groundhound
Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:27 pm
My suggestion to experiment by testing the jack using the hub's phone port to send dial tone to your phone over the home wiring between jacks was an alternative to testing continuity with an multimeter or similar device. If it did not work it would confirm a wiring problem between the two jacks. Again, this was only suggested as an experiment to help diagnose the problem, not a solution to the problem.

Your answers to my first post show you had the hub and scout connected correctly, but as you said - it didn't work. In your original post, you said you had tested the scout and that it works - meaning (to me at least) that you had already connected the wall ports of hub and scout directly together with a phone wire and that the scout then worked.

If the scout works when connected directly to the hub but does not work when connected over the house wiring, it points to the house wiring as the problem. Perhaps a connection has become loose since you last used the jacks successfully.
#12838 by blueheelercd
Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:59 pm
Finally:

Yes, all jacks worked.

Before everything I had only 1 jack in my office with a 4 way splitter.

I ran everything off of it.

So I tried HUB PHONE - TO SPLITTER - SPLITTER TO WALL JACK-
SPLITTER (other port) TO PHONE

Nope, that should have worked right? (not even with scout)

Nothing works unless it is plugged into the HUB

So: when I got vonage, after I turned off at&t, they had me go outside to a little box terminal on the roof where it connected to the telephone pole, and disconnect every plug I could see.

That should not disrupt the interior circuit right?
Just interior to exterior?

Any point to climbing up there and reconnecting everything?

So where does this leave me?

I know one place for sure the wiring is good, in the same room, and it does not work?

What do I do next?

Thanks!
#12839 by scottlindner
Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:24 pm
blueheelercd wrote:That should not disrupt the interior circuit right?
Just interior to exterior?

Sometimes the circuit is made that way. So the only way wall plate one is connected to wall plate two is through the phone box, and not inside the house.

Do you know if these other ports ever worked after you did all of the disconnections? I apologize if you already answered that, I read everything, but I don't recall seeing if you know all of the wall ports you are trying to use are known to work after you've made those disconnections recommended by Vonage.

Scott
#12843 by Groundhound
Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:02 pm
For testing purposes, try this without any splitters, keeping it as simple as possible:

Hub Phone Port > Wall Jack > Wall Jack in other room > Phone

Do you get dial tone on the phone?