Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12692 by adamb303
Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:52 am
I should start off by saying, I've read through what has come up by searching this forum for "port forwarding." To be honest, there's far too much information and I have a feeling the problem I'm having is much simpler in nature, but, we will see.

Ooma hub works fine, internet works fine. Modem > Ooma hub > wireless router is the order I have things setup (as directed by setup instructions).

In the past (before I hooked up the Ooma) all I needed to do to be able to host games online with this specific game was to setup my router to forward ports 6112 to 6114 with the IP address my computer was using at that time. Since I've hooked up the Ooma, my router tells me "those ports already exist" when I try to setup port forwarding for anything higher than 6113.

Needless to say, hosting games isn't working for me and I'm positive I need to configure the Ooma hub for it to work again, I'm just clueless about how to do that.

I know it'll start with navigating to setup.ooma.com...

If you do take a stab at helping me out, please be aware I have a very very limited knowledge base about all of this, and thank you in advance!
#12693 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:56 am
Yes, eihter put the Router's IP (assigned by the ooma) into the DMZ in the setup.ooma.com page or port forward the required ports to the IP of the Router's IP (Don't do both). If your router is already setup it will take the ports from there and route to the game hosting machine. If not you'll need to port forward these ports in the Router's setup to the game hosting machine.
#12695 by adamb303
Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:12 pm
Hey thanks for taking a stab at it so fast!

I sort of followed what you were saying but here's where my lack of knowledge comes into play, how do I find the IP address the Ooma hub has assigned to my router? setup.ooma.com > device list > status has two IP addresses there one for modem one for home, are one of those the routers IP address?

Secondly, you gave me two options and said do one or the other. However, one of the options was assuming the router was already setup to forward the ports I need it to, but if you refer to my OP you'll see that since I've hooked up the Ooma hub the router no longer lets me setup forwarding for all the ports I need, says they already exist...

Any further explanation/simplification would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
#12696 by Aveamantium
Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:24 pm
adamb303 wrote:Hey thanks for taking a stab at it so fast!

I sort of followed what you were saying but here's where my lack of knowledge comes into play, how do I find the IP address the Ooma hub has assigned to my router? setup.ooma.com > device list > status has two IP addresses there one for modem one for home, are one of those the routers IP address?

Secondly, you gave me two options and said do one or the other. However, one of the options was assuming the router was already setup to forward the ports I need it to, but if you refer to my OP you'll see that since I've hooked up the Ooma hub the router no longer lets me setup forwarding for all the ports I need, says they already exist...

Any further explanation/simplification would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

You'll actually have to log into the router to get the IP address assigned by the ooma (should be in the 172.27.35.X range; but it is not 172.27.35.1 as this is the IP of the home port of the ooma).

Actually, either option assumes that the router is setup. If everything works without the ooma in place I would do the simple thing and just put the Router's IP in ooma's DMZ.

Basically you need to tell the incoming traffic how to get around each NAT/firewall (both the ooma and router). The first step tells the traffic how to get from the ooma to the router (configured in the setup.ooma.com page) and the second step tells the traffic how to get from the router to the gaming pc. To me it sounds like you've already configured the second step.
#12701 by niknak
Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:15 pm
[quote...router no longer lets me setup forwarding for all the ports I need, says they already exist...
[/quote]

May be obvious, but have you rebooted the router and ooma hub?