Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12629 by grathke
Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:09 pm
Hi All,

I've been going through this forum as best as I can and trying to remember what I may need to know for an installation.

I just received my unit today and got it up and going without any problem. Now, I'd like to make a few changes...

My setup is cable modem 20/2 meg up/down. A linksys WRT320N router, a 4 port switch and finally ooma.

I've got a website I need to serve up so my thinking is I needed to put ooma behind the router.

I've set up ooma with the default ip of 172.27.35.1, using Linksys Network Magic Pro, I see that ooma also has an ip of 192.168.1.208 so I'm able to get to ooma's home page from any computer on my network.

Previously I had set it up with 192.168.1.10 which works, but then if there is a computer connected to home port of ooma, I cannot get to ooma. Also I can not get to my router at 192.168.1.1. I can get to the internet though

I know this has been addressed before in various questions. For us complete newbs, it would be nice to know how to fill out ALL the prompts for the 2 ooma network pages.

1. Does a computer have to be connected to the Home Port

2. What should I enter for the netwok connection, Automatic, DHCP, etc.

3. Static IP Options, should I fill this out.

4. DMZ, should I put the ip address of the hub here (tech support said I should but it didn't seem to help). Should the ooma ip address be put in the DMZ of the router.

5. From previous reading I believe QOS should be set to 0 here but set to some value on the router.

At first glance I'm pleased with the service, although my callers do hear an echo. I'll get to that later.

Thanks to all who support and answer questions. I'm looking for ward to getting the most I can from ooma.

Glenn
#12633 by scottlindner
Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:48 pm
grathke wrote:1. Does a computer have to be connected to the Home Port

No. That is there if you want to use the Basic Network configuration. This will allow Ooma to be your router. The most important reason to use Ooma as your router is for the built in conditional QoS. Many of us use it this way, many of us do not. It is your choice and plenty of people here can help you either way.

grathke wrote:2. What should I enter for the netwok connection, Automatic, DHCP, etc.

That really depends on your network. There is no real reason for a static IP, so DHCP/Auto should be fine unless you personally care for it to be something different.

grathke wrote:3. Static IP Options, should I fill this out.

Only if using Static IP in Q2.

grathke wrote:4. DMZ, should I put the ip address of the hub here (tech support said I should but it didn't seem to help). Should the ooma ip address be put in the DMZ of the router.

This really depends on how you set up your network. Let's address the others first and get you set, and then we'll come back to this one.

grathke wrote:5. From previous reading I believe QOS should be set to 0 here but set to some value on the router.

You shouldn't need to touch the QoS in the Ooma Hub unless you are using the Basic Network Configuration (Ooma Hub first in your network) and you are doing something like gaming where you want QoS for the gaming. We'll need to revisit QoS after you get the rest set up.

To summarize, there is no one answer to any of these questions. You need to first determine which network setup works best for you and then work from there. If you go with the Advanced setup, your router (not the Ooma Hub) will need to handle the QoS to ensure the calls have highest priority over things like web surfing, file sharing, etc.

There are plenty of people here that can help, so pick what works best for you and we'll try our best to help you get it set up right.

Welcome to Ooma!

Scott
#12636 by grathke
Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:17 pm
Thanks so much.... I'll give it a go.

But just so I'm understanding this correctly, since I'm hosting a website on port 80, the ooma hub has to be after the router, because there is no other way to get to the ooma setup other than port 80, correct?

So if ooma is before the router, the outside connections will never get to the web server?

Thanks
Glenn
#12637 by Aveamantium
Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:33 pm
You can put the ooma hub between the modem and the router but in order to forward all ports to the router you'll need to put the IP address assigned to the router by the DHCP of the ooma hub into the DMZ of the ooma hub.

If you don't want to use the DMZ in the ooma hub, you can also forward specific ports (i.e., Port 80 HTTP or 443 HTTPS/SSL) to the IP address of the router using the GUI of the ooma hub.

In either case you'll likely have to forward these same ports through your router as well (i.e., in the router's setup screen, you port forward these ports to the IP of the web hosting machine). But you'd have to do this step even if the ooma hub is behind the router.
#12639 by grathke
Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:14 pm
Thanks...

So if I put the ooma hub between the modem and router, and put the router ip (as assigned by the ooma hub) into the dmz of ooma, where will 'external' users be routed to when they come to my domainname.com? My router already has the port forwarding working.

Will the external user see the ooma setup page or my website page?

If I use port forwarding and forward port 80 to my web server, how do I get to the ooma setup page since port 80 is being forwarded to my web server.

Thanks for all the help.
Glenn
#12642 by Aveamantium
Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:25 pm
grathke wrote:Thanks...

So if I put the ooma hub between the modem and router, and put the router ip (as assigned by the ooma hub) into the dmz of ooma, where will 'external' users be routed to when they come to my domainname.com? My router already has the port forwarding working.

Will the external user see the ooma setup page or my website page?

If I use port forwarding and forward port 80 to my web server, how do I get to the ooma setup page since port 80 is being forwarded to my web server.

Thanks for all the help.
Glenn

If you put the routers IP in the DMZ of the ooma then the users should be routed from the ooma to the router and then since you already have the router setup, it will forward them to the web hosting computer. Similarly, if you port forward port 80 from the ooma to the IP of the router the router's port forwarding will take it from there and route it to the hosting computer.

You should only be able to get to the ooma setup page through ooma.setup.com on the LAN side (this is not be allowed from the WAN side unless you were to put ooma's Home Port IP in the DMZ of the ooma hub, which would be a huge security risk since anyone could get to your ooma home page from the WAN side of the network; this is assuming the ooma hub is in front of the router of course). Since port forwarding is only directing traffic from the WAN side to the LAN side of things this shouldn't be an issue.