Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#131098 by JonOfIndy
Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:42 pm
I've owned a Telo for over 5 years and it works great. I convinced my elderly father to buy one and I installed it for him yesterday. I installed it CABLE MODEM-OOMA-ROUTER as they recommend, plus a cordless phone system. A simple install. I've done nothing with the settings in the Ooma or his router, just cabled everything together. After he registered online and we powered everything up, I got dialtone on the phone and his computer was able to get on the Internet. However after several minutes (not sure how long, as I was showing him how to use the Ooma website) his Internet access quit working. I have his modem, router and Ooma all plugged into a UPS, so I powered it off and back on to recycle the equipment. Everything was fine again. But sometime overnight he lost all of his Internet access again.

It appears that the Ooma is causing DNS to stop working, so he loses Internet access on all his devices. His web browser just times out saying it cannot connect.

I did a chat session with an Ooma rep and all they said is to change the setup to MODEM-ROUTER-OOMA. They had no other suggestions. I wasn't very satisfied, but if that's what I have to do I'll do it.

Before I do that, what troubleshooting should I perform or actions should I take to resolve this problem?

He has Time Warner cable broadband and a TP-LINK wireless router, by the way. Both have worked fine for years before I added the Ooma to the mix.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Jon
#131108 by murphy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:45 am
Verify that the Telo is configured to use the built-in MAC address. If it isn't it will eventually switch to spoofing the MAC address of the router. When that happens internet access will be blocked because modems do not allow more than one MAC address unless you are paying for multiple connections.

Also change the Telo from "Automatic" mode to "DHCP" mode.
#131121 by JonOfIndy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:00 am
murphy wrote:Verify that the Telo is configured to use the built-in MAC address. If it isn't it will eventually switch to spoofing the MAC address of the router. When that happens internet access will be blocked because modems do not allow more than one MAC address unless you are paying for multiple connections.

Thanks for the quick response! This is my first time on this forum so it is nice to see it so active.

I'll try what you suggest.

One logistical problem I have is my father lives 110 miles away, so my only immediate option is remote desktop support through TeamViewer. If I remote control his computer, can I get to the Ooma settings to change them, even though it is in front of the router?
#131122 by murphy
Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:32 am
JonOfIndy wrote:
murphy wrote:Verify that the Telo is configured to use the built-in MAC address. If it isn't it will eventually switch to spoofing the MAC address of the router. When that happens internet access will be blocked because modems do not allow more than one MAC address unless you are paying for multiple connections.

Thanks for the quick response! This is my first time on this forum so it is nice to see it so active.

I'll try what you suggest.

One logistical problem I have is my father lives 110 miles away, so my only immediate option is remote desktop support through TeamViewer. If I remote control his computer, can I get to the Ooma settings to change them, even though it is in front of the router?

Yes. Connect to setup.ooma.com or 172.27.35.1 preferably using Firefox. I have seen strange responses in the past using IE.
#131132 by Agent99
Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:30 pm

I had not had any internet connections problems since we installed the Telo about 9 months ago. But recently, I started to have internet go down regularly. My configuration is same as JonofIndy. Ooma continued to work, so I suspected problem was router or something caused by Telo.

If I just rebooted router, we would have internet again, but then it would soon go off again. I unplugged and replugged cable between Telo and router and have not seen the problem since (2 days). So may that is all it was - a bad connection.

I just rechecked my Telo configuration. I am using built in mac address, but it was set to Automatic. I have changed that to DHCP. Hopefully no further drop outs.
#131153 by JonOfIndy
Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:25 pm
I was able to log in to his computer via remote connection and checked all the Ooma settings. I changed "Automatic" to "DHCP". The setting for built-in MAC address was already set. I rebooted his Ooma and will monitor for awhile to see if it is working better.

I also read in the Help pages that there is supposedly an option to test DNS settings. But I couldn't find that option anywhere in the settings menus. If anybody knows if this option still exists, let me know.

Thanks for your help!
#131200 by JonOfIndy
Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:40 pm
Well, changing the setting didn't help. He's still having trouble. Seems to happen most when he first boots up his PC and tries to go on the web. Cannot get connected. Any other suggestions in regard to the DNS situation?

Thanks!
#131201 by kdmc69
Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:48 pm
Did you ever try the modem - router - Telo hook-up that chat suggested? I have had mine connected that way for 6 years now and it works fine for me.
#131244 by JonOfIndy
Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:50 pm
I'm going to try that next. That's how I've had my own system hooked up for about as many years as you. It has worked well that way. I'm kind of puzzled why Ooma recommends using Modem-->Ooma-->Router as their "preferred" installation method. I recall it never worked well on my system either. Oh well.
#131247 by Iraisok
Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:51 pm
JonOfIndy wrote:I'm going to try that next. That's how I've had my own system hooked up for about as many years as you. It has worked well that way. I'm kind of puzzled why Ooma recommends using Modem-->Ooma-->Router as their "preferred" installation method. I recall it never worked well on my system either. Oh well.

I never have never nor would I care to try Modem-->Ooma-->Router. I consider Modem ---> Router configuration tried and true as you would too). I think Ooma is wrong to suggest placing the Telo2 between Modem and Router as the PRIMARY configuration. I believe it should be an ALTERNATIVE configuration. No changes to Telo2 or router. You'll learn nothing cause it will probably work fine.

My Telo2 is happy being subservient to the Router meaning plugged into a spare router port. PERIOD!

Just my take on it.

Ira