Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12461 by ag62
Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:29 am
New ooma user here. I installed it last night and signed up for new number. So far works great. I'm now ready to move my 2nd landline to ooma and do this for the whole house. I have two questions:

First, I assume I need a splitter that splits 1st line and 2nd line? Then I take my second line and plug it into the wall plug on the HUB. Does it make sense?

Second question, how do I transfer my 2nd landline phone number to ooma's 1st line since I already signed up for new ooma number. Once the porting process completes, what happens to the original ooma number, does it go away and my ooma's account is reassigned(including my lounge ID) to the new number.

Thank you
#12492 by ag62
Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:01 pm
Not exactly. I have 2 line phones throughout the house (some wired and some cordless). I would like to keep the 1st landline without any changes. I would like to switch the 2nd line to ooma, port the number, and cancel 2nd line with current provider.

It seems that I should be able to use one of the line splitters/switches that splits 1st and 2nd line and connect 2nd line to ooma's HUB.
#12507 by southsound
Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:45 am
That should work great. Make sure you use the phone port on the hub and my personal recommendation is to disconnect the house wiring for line 2 at the telco's demarc block. This should be as simple as unplugging the little cord or swinging a hinged plug in the telco box outside your house. This will keep any unwanted signals off of your line 2 wiring. Sometimes the telco will turn off the ability to dial or recieve calls but will still keep talk battery on the line. Unplugging at the demarc separates you from the telco lines completely.

You might also want to consider using one of these two line wall plates at the jack where your hub will be installed instead of using a splitter. Wire the white/blue pairs to the red/green wires on the first jack, the white/orange pairs to the red/green of the second jack. Very clean looking and no pesky adapters to break in the future.

#12508 by bw1
Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:46 am
You need to supply more information on your setup. You have 2 landlines running through 2 lines in the house, correct? Do you have DSL (hooked up to line1)? Do you have ooma configured with landline integration?

Depending on that, you should be able to connect the phone port on your ooma hub to the wall jack on the 2nd line of your house wiring. If you have 2 port wall jacks you can just use the 2nd jack, otherwise you may be able to use a line1/line2 splitter connected to the jack. You'll need to disconnect the 2nd landline from the demarcation box on the outside of your house. See here for more info:
http://mi-telecom.org/distribute.html

As to your 2nd question, porting your 2nd landline number to ooma will cause that number to replace your temporary ooma number.