Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#12171 by southsound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:35 am
You can integrate your landline without using Premier. When integrated, your local and 911 calls will go through your landline and all long distance will go through VOIP with ooma. Some who have used this configuration may wish to comment on how they like the integration. Others, like myself, have chosen to keep their landline but use their ooma hub or hub/scout independent of their landline. Without paying for Premier, I still have two lines I can use simultaneously. The landline for incoming or local and the ooma line for incoming and any outgoing. For me it is the best of two worlds. Some even use a two-line phone with this configuration but I have chosen to use separate cordless phones for each. Each base station has several handsets and I've set the rings to alert us to what is ringing if we are not near enough a phone to see it light up.

If you have not yet set up your ooma, try to make the choice before registering your hub as if you integrate them now you will need to have ooma provision your landline (might cost a few $$'s) and then if you want to try it without the landline you need ooma to do some configuration changes at their end. Provisioning your landline involves adding call forward busy to send calls to your (private) ooma number if you are on your landline.
#12172 by southsound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 am
Almost forgot - Welcome to ooma! The only thing you're going to miss is your old telco's high phone bills! After you are all set up, visit the forums often. Your experiences will help other users or those who are still trying to make the ooma decision.
#12176 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:04 am
Until yesterday I used my Ooma Hub and Scout with an integrated landline. It works perfectly and seemlessly. I had to turn on the Ooma Connection Tone to ensure it was working the way I had hoped (it does). If you are making a local call or toll free call the Hub will automatically route the call out over your landline and you will not hear the connection tone. If you are making a long distance call or calling Ooma Support you will hear the connection tone. I mention the Ooma Support number because it is toll free, but is still being routed over Ooma. This must be to ensure they are hearing what others hear if you are calling about quality problems.

We used this configuration with another phone connected to the Scout and all of our calls would go out over the landline with it as well.

It really works the way you think it should. Amazing.. maybe Ooma should start making operating systems. ;)

Scott
#12177 by southsound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:08 am
I haven't yet because with my hub I have all the features I use. But if I wanted to have a neat way to listen to voicemail from the kitchen or bedroom, I would install it there without a phone plugged in because I have cordless DECT6.0 phones in those locations. Some who have a separate system like mine have Premier and use the hub and scout in the same room to give them two lines (one business, one home) they can distribute through out the house using their existing wiring. The possiblities are pretty much endless and your configuration should be based on your own needs.
#12178 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:11 am
southsound wrote:I haven't yet because with my hub I have all the features I use. But if I wanted to have a neat way to listen to voicemail from the kitchen or bedroom, I would install it there without a phone plugged in because I have cordless DECT6.0 phones in those locations. Some who have a separate system like mine have Premier and use the hub and scout in the same room to give them two lines (one business, one home) they can distribute through out the house using their existing wiring. The possiblities are pretty much endless and your configuration should be based on your own needs.

I am doing something similar to this. I put the Hub in the network rack since it is large and put the scout in the kitchen because it's much smaller and only uses a phone line rather than a phone line and network connection (less clutter and one less network drop). It works very well this way. Now all I gotta do is but nice 2 line phones.

Scott
#12179 by southsound
Sat Jun 27, 2009 9:12 am
scottlindner wrote: It really works the way you think it should. Amazing.. maybe Ooma should start making operating systems. ;)

Scott

I'm not so sure about ooma getting into operating systems. Even though I retired from Microsoft, I'd miss the occasional coffee break I get from my PC locking up and having to reboot. I mean, what fun is it if there are no surprises, no opportunities for a technical adventure? And, of course, "undocumented features" are always a joy. :)
#12183 by edphone
Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:20 pm
Thanks for your responses.

Scott, do you have to let OOma configure your system? Do you have premier service?

Ed
#12184 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:26 pm
edphone wrote:Thanks for your responses.

Scott, do you have to let OOma configure your system? Do you have premier service?

Ed

I do have Premier service. I started off with the 60 day trial and fell in love with the Blacklist and Instant Second Line features. I'd pay $100/yr for each of those separately, so I find it to be a real bargain. Premier doesn't change that much and having it or not having it won't affect what you are trying to do at the moment.

I don't understand your first question. Are you referring to Ooma the company or the Ooma Hub? What sort of configuration are you referring to?

Scott