Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#11733 by ksiq
Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:49 am
Hi,
I have the hub and the scout working fine with my land line (phone company) still active (running through the hub). I plan on porting 2 numbers and assign one to the hub and one to the scout.
My question is:
Do I keep using my current(old) # while I am in the porting process?
If so will the # porting from phone company to ooma be seemless?

Then after the porting is complete do I reconfigure ooma to "no land line"?

I guess my real question is:

What is the best way to transition from phone company to ooma while porting my #'s
#11734 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:55 am
ksiq wrote:Hi,
I have the hub and the scout working fine with my land line (phone company) still active (running through the hub). I plan on porting 2 numbers and assign one to the hub and one to the scout.
My question is:
Do I keep using my current(old) # while I am in the porting process?
If so will the # porting from phone company to ooma be seemless?

Then after the porting is complete do I reconfigure ooma to "no land line"?

I guess my real question is:

What is the best way to transition from phone company to ooma while porting my #'s

Assuming you do not have DSL, Ooma takes care of everything for you. It should be seemless and without disruption.

If you have DSL you need to get more involved because phone companies don't see a difference between your telephone line and your DSL service. They both have the same number so when you port the number your DSL goes bye-bye.

Scott
#11735 by ksiq
Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:19 am
Thanks for the quick response!
You are correct in assuming that I do not have DSL.

So after the porting process is complete do I simply cancel my land line?
Is there any anything else I need to do (reconfigure with ooma) once the land line is deactivated?
#11736 by scottlindner
Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:21 am
ksiq wrote:Thanks for the quick response!
You are correct in assuming that I do not have DSL.

So after the porting process is complete do I simply cancel my land line?
Is there any anything else I need to do (reconfigure with ooma) once the land line is deactivated?

My port hasn't gone through yet, but from talking to other people that have done this, the port will terminate your phone line for you. I think it really is that easy. As far as I know it only gets complicated when you have DSL on the same number you want to port.

Scott
#11755 by bw1
Sat Jun 20, 2009 1:44 pm
If you have 2 numbers on the same account you may need to port the secondary number and let that complete before porting the primary number so that you don't lose either number. Someone else on here was looking to do the same but I haven't seen the final outcome.

My experience porting from AT&T was that it took about 3 1/2 weeks and on the day the port took place, AT&T disconnected the line in the afternoon and the number was activated by ooma around 6:00 PM. So my phone number was out of service for a few hours.

After the landline was disconnected from AT&T, the service was automatically canceled and AT&T sent me a refund for the rest of the month.
#11774 by ksiq
Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:54 am
Ok,
I've signed up for OOMA Premier and requested to PORT my second land line. I've e-mailed OOMA the LOA and a copy of my phone bill.
So as I understand it my job right now is to wait for the PORT'ing process to complete itself.
Is this right?
After my second land line has been PORTed I will PORT my primary land line (I realize that I will have to pay for the 2nd PORT) and my telco days will be over.
One question:
When I filled out the LOA it asked me what # I want PORT'ed (my 2nd land line) and below that it asked me my "ooma Phone Number * " (" * The phone number chosen during ooma activation"). The "phone number chosen during activation" is my 1st land line (primary land line) that is now assigned to my "hub" I want my PORT request assigned to my "scout". Should I have put my "scout" # in the space that says "ooma Phone Number" ?
In other words when this 1st PORT in complete will it be assigned to my "hub"? (not wanted) or do I assign my PORT to the "scout"? (wanted)
#11776 by murphy
Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:55 am
Call ooma support on the phone and tell them exactly what you want. By default an incoming port is assigned to the hub and the temporary hub number is discarded.
#11787 by ggilman
Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:08 am
I went through this recently and just finished. I was unsure of how to handle the two ports as well, since I wanted them to occur as close together as possible without fear of loosing a number. I contacted customer service and they said there would be no way to guarantee order, so to be safe, move the 2nd line, wait for it to finish porting, then port the primary. This is what I did.

So, to answer your question, yes, you are waiting till the first port completes. As soon as that is done, resubmit all of your paperwork to port the 2nd number.

The only minor issue I had was that when they did the first port, I wanted it to go to an assigned scout. The email I received the day the porting was to be completed stated that my hub phone #, not the scout, was being replaced. This is what happens by default I was told, any ported # goes to your hub. The hub number then goes to your 2nd line and the 2nd line # is deleted. I emailed them and this was fixed before the port was complete.

To eliminate the chance of my 2nd port somehow kicking out my previously ported number, on all documentation I sent to ooma (phone bill, signed agreement) I wrote how I wanted the port to be handled. Simply to replace the primary number and throw the old primary number away. This is exactly what they did. No issues at all. In retrospect, I would have written similar information about the first port.

I have yet to receive my final phone bill but assume my service is canceled.