Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#11550 by grecni
Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:17 pm
I am trying to setup an environment where I have my ooma hub and one scout in one room. The scout is set up as a non-shared device with it's own phone number (yes, I subscribed for premier service). Both the hub and the scout are plugged into a line spliter that then is plugged into the wall socket. I have a second scout in another room with no phone plugged into it. I have this one just so my family can check voice mail.

My problem is when the hub and scout are plugged connected in the same room both go blue but the scout in the second room goes red. If I unplug the scout from the hub then the scout in the second room goes blue.

Is there any way to have both scouts working as well as have the second phone number?

I've attached a simple image to illustrate the setup.

Thank you for any help.
Attachments
2ScoutSetup.JPG
2ScoutSetup.JPG (11.94 KiB) Viewed 2583 times
#11551 by WayneDsr
Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:48 pm
I had this same thing happen and it turned out to be voltage on the line from the landline. If you are not using a landline disconnect the telephone company connection in the telco box so that your house wiring does not carry any voltage.

Wayne
#11617 by grecni
Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:51 pm
Well I have answered my own question, sort of. I took the second scout (the one I had in the same room as my hub) and plugged into a separate phone jack in another room just to see what would happen. Both scouts went blue.

So I ended up taking the wire that goes to the jack in the room with my hub, cut it and connected it to a phone jack, placed a multiline splitter on the new jack, connected the original cable to the splitter, ran a new cable from the room with the scout/hub to the splitter and plugged it in. In the room, I connected a new jack to the new cable, plugged the scout into the new jack, plugged the hub into the old jack. Now all lights are blue.

For some reason the scout and hub did not like being on a splitter going to the same jack. Seems to me the basically it's still the same wiring but works this way and not with a both devices on a splitter going to the same wall jack.
#11631 by scottlindner
Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:06 am
grecni wrote:For some reason the scout and hub did not like being on a splitter going to the same jack. Seems to me the basically it's still the same wiring but works this way and not with a both devices on a splitter going to the same wall jack.

Is it an L1 and L2 splitter, or an unlabelled splitter (aka both L1)?

If you want to figure it out, could you try connecting the scout and hub right next to each other without going through your home's wiring and try connecting them directly with the splitter in the middle? I wonder if somehow you got some sort of loop going similar to a ground loop when you included your home wiring.

Scott
#11635 by WayneDsr
Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:36 am
Like I said I went through this before. I could hook up both scouts at the hub and they'd both go blue. If I put one of the Scouts in another room it would go red. Disconnected the scout at the hub and the one in the other room would go blue.
Turned out to be my landline interfering with the hub/scouts. I disconnected my landline at the telco box and all scouts went blue.

It seemed like the hub couldn't "hear" the remote scout because of the interference, unless both of them were remote, or both of them were at the hub.

Wayne