Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#11329 by phayes38
Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:05 pm
I was wondering if it is possible to transfer a skype phone number to become my new ooma number?

Thanks
#11341 by niknak
Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:29 am
It depends on if Ooma has a CLEC partner in the same rate center as Skype's CLEC. Only way to know is to call ooma customer service
#11348 by niknak
Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:03 am
Actually I thought about it some more, and porting from SKYPE may be a problem since they are not a "home telephone provider"

As you may know the laws for porting phone numbers originally applied to ILECs / CLECs and mobile phone companys.

VOIP companys (like OOMA and VONAGE) were later included because they offer "replacement home telephone service" including E911

Companies like SKYPE, Magicjack, Gizmo are not "home telephone companies" and probably you are not able to port a number from them.

As the previous poster suggested, got to ooma's page and put in the phone number you wish to port or call CS
#11357 by lohertz
Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:56 am
niknak wrote:It depends on if Ooma has a CLEC partner in the same rate center as Skype's CLEC. Only way to know is to call ooma customer service

Theres been a couple discussions on this and I'm not sure if it every got resolved, but my understanding is if you can port a number into a service, you can port it out.
Can you port a number to Skype service?

viewtopic.php?p=5879#p5879

And the above quoted text would also apply. Ooma would have to be in that rate center.

niknak wrote:Companies like SKYPE, Magicjack, Gizmo are not "home telephone companies" and probably you are not able to port a number from them.

It's not the class of service, but more of "if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...then duck rules apply (in regards to number pooling, everything else is subject to debate)
#124729 by mdavis1231
Sat Nov 22, 2014 8:30 pm
You can, in fact, port your SkypeIn number to Ooma. I've had SkypeIn and SkypeOut for about 8 years now, and am just now switching to Ooma. I checked with Skype first, and they said that they fully cooperate with Ooma to port out current phone numbers. I filled out my number porting request this evening, and have already received an email from Ooma that they've contacted Skype and that the number porting is in the process. :D