Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#10980 by staninnv
Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:44 am
I attempted to install the ooma three times yesterday between my modem and router. Each time I would reboot the modem and router after installation. ooma keys would always flash red and when I turned on my computer, I could not connect to the internet. I would then removed the ooma hub from the system, reboot the modem and router and be back on line. I did this three times before frustration caused me to quit for the night.

Any thoughts?
#10985 by scottlindner
Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:22 am
Can you log into the router's configuration page to see if it is obtaining an IP address from the Ooma Hub?

Another thing to try is to put the Ooma Hub after your router, not before it. There are reasons to do this, and reason to not do it. Let's see if this works for you first, and then we'll discuss what the implications are.

Scott
#11001 by staninnv
Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:35 am
I use broadband internet through my cable provider. The modem and router are both relatively new as I replaced them this past year.

I don't believe the router is the issue here? After attempting to install the ooma hub three times between the modem and router; I took the router out of the equation by hooking the closest terminal directly to the Home Port in the ooma hub. Although the computer recognized the "new network" attached and I selected "always trust" I could not get the computer online. The lights on the hub continued to blink red.
#11009 by WayneDsr
Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:48 am
Put the router back in place connected to the modem.

Plug ooma into the router (as you would any pc) using the MODEM plug of the ooma hub.
Plug a phone into the PHONE port of the ooma hub. Do not plug anything in the WALL port of the ooma hub, unless you set ooma up when you registered it to work WITH a landline.
Nothing should be plugged into the HOME port.

All should work fine at that point.

Wayne
#11017 by staninnv
Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:21 pm
After much soul searching I broke down and called customer support. I must say they answered right away and the tech was very helpful. Although the instructions say to power up the ooma hub BEFORE the modem and router, sometimes this doesn't work. The tech had me shut down the hub, turn the modem on first and then power up the hub. It worked and we're in business!

Thanks for all your comments!
#11019 by southsound
Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:30 pm
Glad that your experience with customer support was so positive. Others who have not yet had occasion to use the support number will be encouraged to know that users are helped quickly by knowledgeable technicians. ooma has done a lot in the last 4-5 months to build their support staff and they do a great job with training. They have sold a slew (that's a technical term) of units lately and I'm sure they will continue to be successful - in part because of their wonderful product and support but also because of the awesome folks on this forum. Make sure you come back often and welcome to ooma!
#11376 by pluffmud913
Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:14 pm
To Wayne:

Thanks for the tip about NOTHING SHOULD BE PLUGGED INTO THE HOME PORT ON THE OOMA HUB..That information helped immensely....I now have both phone and internet...