Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#10905 by muzo
Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:47 pm
Hi,
I installed my ooma hub a couple of weeks ago and it was working nicely. Today I removed the ethernet cable to extend a little bit and now ooma doesn't work. I get ooma tab blinking red and 4 top lights solid on (1, 2, thrashcan and envelope). The phone is connected through the hub and I hear a dial regular tone when I pickup. ooma hub is connected to a router port through the modem port on ooma and the led at the modem jack is solid green. I also connected my notebook to the same cable and I can get to the Internet with it.
Any ideas what's wrong?

Thanks.
#10907 by WayneDsr
Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:04 pm
First of all, are you sure you connected the network cable to the MODEM port on the hub and not on the HOME port by accident?

Did you turn off the hub and turn it back on (power cycle) after you reconnected?

Let me know and we'll take it from here.

Wayne
#11695 by The Pagliones
Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:52 am
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd just add to this one.

I have a similar problem. My Ooma hub has been working perfectly for months now. It is set up BEHIND my WRT160N V2 router which is connected to a cable modem. The hub is wired from one of the router ports directly to the MODEM port on the Hub. QoS is set up on the router, specified by the Hub's MAC address.

I went away for a week, and when I came back the light at the top of the hub was blinking red, and the 1, 2, envelope and trash icons were solid red. I've tried cycling the power on all devices (modem, router hub - in that order). I've also tried connecting the hub in various configurations -

* with different cables (that work when used by my computer),
* directly to the modem
* with and without the phone line connected (so that my scouts can work)

... and I always get the four solid red lights with the blinking red tab. (though when I disconnect the phone line, the envelope red light takes its time to illuminate).

Through all of my troubleshooting it looks like the Hub just can't pick up an IP address, and I can't figure out why, especially since it was working when I left, and now it isn't. The only *possible* change there was in my configuration was a bunch of rain while I was away which sometimes can knock out internet service briefly, though the internet is certainly back now (evidenced by my ability to post on this forum :)

Any ideas?
#11696 by WayneDsr
Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:25 am
Try reseting ooma.

Turn off ooma.
Hold the blue/red ooma tab downward and turn ooma back on.
Hold the blue/red ooma tab down for 30 seconds while ooma does a light show.
Ooma will be re-set to factory default.

Ooma should pick up a new ip from the router, you may even need to power cycle router and ooma for all to communicate.

Wayne
#11699 by The Pagliones
Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:30 am
WayneDsr wrote:Try reseting ooma.

Turn off ooma.
Hold the blue/red ooma tab downward and turn ooma back on.
Hold the blue/red ooma tab down for 30 seconds while ooma does a light show.
Ooma will be re-set to factory default.

Ooma should pick up a new ip from the router, you may even need to power cycle router and ooma for all to communicate.

Wayne

Sorry -- I should have mentioned that I saw that in a previous thread and tried that too - same result - all four lights are red... Any other thoughts?

ADDITIONAL INFO: BTW -- I just pressed some of the buttons by accident and managed to unlight the garbage & envelope buttons. now only the 1 & 2 buttons are lit - does that change anything? (Hmmm... Though it looks like they only unlit temporarily...)
#11701 by The Pagliones
Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:56 am
WayneDsr wrote:Make sure you have the hub connected via the MODEM port and not the HOME port on the rear of the hub.

Wayne

Yup, it is. I've even tried plugging it into the other ports on the router, switching out the ethernet cords, and plugging the Hub into the cord that I know works because I'm using it to connect my computer to the internet right now...
#11702 by WayneDsr
Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:10 pm
Do you get internet through the HOME port of the hub?

I would call Customer Support while you have the chance at 888-771-6662. It's probably something simple and you can get it fixed quick.

Wayne
#11706 by The Pagliones
Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:37 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Do you get internet through the HOME port of the hub?

I would call Customer Support while you have the chance at 888-771-6662. It's probably something simple and you can get it fixed quick.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. I didn't get internet through the HOME port, but I was able to access setup.ooma.com once plugged into the hub. I poked around there a bit, but couldn't think of anything else to try. I'll call Customer Support as per your suggestion. Thanks. -Laura

!!IMPORTANT!! -- the customer support number is 888-711-6662, not what's listed above
Last edited by The Pagliones on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.