Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#10268 by zappullae
Mon May 25, 2009 8:13 am
I use 900 mhz phones. When the scout is plugged in (power only) there is so much static that the noise kills the cordless phones. What's the story?
#10386 by scots
Wed May 27, 2009 6:55 pm
Have you tried a phone that isn't 900MHz just to see what happens? Maybe you have a wired phone around somewhere, or maybe someone can let you borrow a 2.4GHz or DECT phone for a few minutes to test? 900MHz phones are fairly old technology these days. That frequency was allocated by the FCC in 1990, and 900MHz phones started being sold in the mid 1990's...so almost 15 to 20 years old, which is ancient in the world of technology. There's also so much stuff that operates on 900MHz (and 2.4GHz) these days, that it's extremely easy for there to be some type of interference coming from somewhere.
#10389 by zappullae
Wed May 27, 2009 7:02 pm
Yea, I know its old tech but all the phones work and I just put new batteries in them. They cost more then the phone now! Turns out that I ran a separate phone line to the hub for the scout and plugged the cordless into the normal house wiring instead of the scout. All works well now. My guess is its the high frequency HPND network that the hub and scout use to communicate. Thanks for the info....zap
#10401 by scottlindner
Thu May 28, 2009 3:27 am
If you suspect the HPNA on a 900MHz phone (I would too since that's right in the dead center of the HPNA), try using a DSL filter on the phone and see if that clears it up. That's what DSL filters are made for, to filter out all of the frequencies higher than the voice conversation.

Scott

EDIT: I didn't read your message very well until after posting to realize you corrected the problem. Nevermind the rest of my post.
#10410 by StevenJohn
Thu May 28, 2009 8:04 am
I understand why you don't want to give up your 900 MHz phones. I have two 900 MHz digital phones that still work great on ooma. I have not tried the Scout. The sound quality is excellent and the range is great. I can actually use these phones in my neighbors house 400 feet away. Wi-Fi does not interfere either. My 900 MHz wireless cameras do not interfere. The phones work for hours when the power goes off thanks to the batteries in the base unit. They just don't make them like they used too. 8^)

Don't get me wrong. I love all the features of my little Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones and they sound almost as good.

Now if I could just get Comcast to replace their dead backup batteries I may be able to use ooma during a power failure.

SJ