Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111571 by BlazednSleepy
Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:15 pm
So I just got my Ooma today, but I'm having trouble figuring this out. I just filled out the form to transfer my existing number to Ooma. But I don't know how to set up the Ooma to use with my existing phone service in the meantime. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
#111572 by highq
Tue Jul 09, 2013 2:33 pm
What do you mean by "using Ooma with your existing service"?
Just set up Ooma and use it to make calls.
When you decide to port your current number, then your existing service will go away and you'll receive calls on Ooma as well.
#111575 by t15industries
Wed Jul 10, 2013 5:00 am
What I did with both of my Ooma units was simple.

Connect the Ooma, plug a single phone into the Ooma unit itself.

Port number.

Once porting was done I simply disconnected my Fios phone line (because there was still a dial tone being fed into my line from Verizon). Disconnect was simple, open access cover on box outside of house, in the case of my Fios there were two wires (blue & blue/white) connected to two push to release type terminals. These fed the phone lines within my house. Once disconnected the Fios dial tone was gone. It did not affect the internet since that got fed in to the house via coax cable.

Now plug the wire that you are using to feed the one phone you have plugged into your Ooma into any convenient phone jack and it will feed the lines within the house giving you Ooma service everywhere you have a phone jack now.