Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111232 by aphonebook
Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:31 pm
Hello everyone. I received my ooma telo today. I registered online and received confirmation email that I did register. I plugged the device in behind my netgear router, and it sat there unable to connect for several hours. I talked with technical support for an hour. They just had me unplugging and plugging cables. Still had blinking red light. I tried connecting directly to the cable modem, and I logged in to the ooma at 172.27.35.1 and the gui says it's connected to the internet but not the ooma network. It did receive an IP from comcast. I saw that via 'status.' I tried behind my netgear, same thing. I even tried on a sprint mobile hotspot, same thing. I let it sit for an hour at least, each time, and it just blinks red. I've been working on it for five hours. It has ruined my evening, and I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me. I would just update the firmware manually, but it doesn't appear to have that option. Please save me from using it as a urinal puck.
#111241 by aphonebook
Tue Jun 25, 2013 5:49 am
The reason that modems are power cycled when hooked up to new equipment is so that they can recognize the new device and provide an ip address. The ooma has an ip address. It is currently, and has always been, connected to the internet. It cannot however, connect to the ooma servers. I have even tried the ooma on sprint's mobile broadband network, and I had the same issue. It does not connect to ooma servers. This isn't an issue with the modem, or the internet provider.
#111246 by aphonebook
Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:15 am
Looks like I typed in the ooma activation code wrong. Thanks for trying to help. Technical support level 2 was able to assist me in finding out this information. They corrected it. I didn't think to check because I figured there would be an error, or some indication, as there are with all activation codes, ever - software, hardware, etc. I guess you can just put in any random activation code, and it will work. Mine was just one number off though, so maybe not. Anyway, that's the reason.
#111253 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:52 am
aphonebook wrote:Looks like I typed in the ooma activation code wrong. Thanks for trying to help. Technical support level 2 was able to assist me in finding out this information. They corrected it. I didn't think to check because I figured there would be an error, or some indication, as there are with all activation codes, ever - software, hardware, etc. I guess you can just put in any random activation code, and it will work. Mine was just one number off though, so maybe not. Anyway, that's the reason.

You might have activiated another unit. Good that they found the issue.