Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111208 by RichT
Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:39 am
Sorry for the log post... this stuff is not simple and I think more detail is better.

I have a Bell 2Wire 2701HG-G DSL modem router and recently purchased the Ooma Telo. I have a sizeable network behind the Bell router... wired to a Gb LAN connecting 2 PC, 1 NAS, Printer, PS3 and now the Ooma Telo... and wireless to 3 laptops, 3 tablets and a smartphone. See diagram 1.

Drawing1.jpg
Original Setup
Drawing1.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 10538 times

I have a good VOIP line but want to get the best Ooma QoS. The Bell router has virtually no QoS configuration and ....I know the best setup is to have the Telo box in front of the rest of the network and allow the Telo QoS programming to do it's thing. So I am trying to setup a second router behind the Telo box that has the rest of the home network.

My old wireless router is a Trendnet TEW-632BRP and so I have disabled the wireless AP on the Bell 2Wire router and just have the Telo box connected to the Bell box. I then have the Trendnet box connected to the Telo box. I have disabled the DCHP on the Trendnet box and then have the Gbit router and everything else connected to the Trendnet router.... so everything else is behine the telo box on the Home Network port. See diagram 2.

Drawing2.jpg
Optimal Setup ?
Drawing2.jpg (44.54 KiB) Viewed 10538 times

So I have some questions about this setup and looking for any advise anyone can offer.

1. Is this a good setup for what I have?

2. I have the Telo setup QoS with my upload and download speeds (700 up, 12M down at 80% = 550 up and 10,000 down) is this OK.

3. Do I need to do anyother port forwarding, MAC address or IP address changes or configuration in the Telo setup ?

4. I have the DCHP on in the Bell DSL modem / router box and switched off on the Trendnet box. Is this ok? Is this best? Should I switch this around?

5. Do I need to put anything into a DMZ?? on the Bell, Telo or Trendnet box(es)...(I would need lots of help if the answer is yes)

6. The Bell internal IP adresses are in 192.168.2.?? range, and so the Telo box has been assigned an IP address in this range. The Telo box allocates IP addresses in the 176.27.35.?? range, and so the Trendnet box has a 176.27.35.xx IP address. I've assigned the Trendnet box to have a 176.27.35.xx address. Is this right? Is this best? Should I keep all the boxes in the same IP address range? Should the Telo and Trendnet have the same IP address range as the Bell box (192.168.2.xx) or should I keep each box at their default IP range (Bell 192.168.2.xx; Telo 176.27.35.xx; and Trendnet 192.168.10.xx).

7. Any other points or advise for keeping a stable internet connection for everything behind the Telo box (Home Network)?
Last edited by RichT on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
#111212 by dknyinva
Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:50 am
I stick with network diagram #1 unless you have issue with voice quality or other issue. BTW, attached is my network setup
Attachments
myhomenetwork.jpg
myhomenetwork.jpg (14.62 KiB) Viewed 10582 times
#111235 by RichT
Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:38 am
With kids on the internet constantly (seems like it), chatting, downloading, viewing stuff, etc... I wanted a setup that would manage and protect the VOIP QoS.

Are people finding this is not necessary?
#111256 by EX Bell
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:00 am
RichT wrote:With kids on the internet constantly (seems like it), chatting, downloading, viewing stuff, etc... I wanted a setup that would manage and protect the VOIP QoS.

Are people finding this is not necessary?

QoS is always necessary for best results. Nothing wrong with your setup as long as phone calls sound good when you're uploading and network performance is good. I personally prefer to use DHCP in the router so I can reserve IP address via MAC address of the Telo and devices I want to be able to always find at a specific IP.

Placing the Telo after a good quality QoS enabled router is best, so if the Telo should fail some day, it won't cause internet to go down and you won't get panic calls from the family. It gives you more flexibility for Telo placement as well. My last two Telo installs, I used a Netgear 3400 ($70 at Staples). WiFi range, throughput and QoS performance are excellent in this router.
#111260 by lbmofo
Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:50 am
In the manual of Netgear 3400, couldn't find access control section (example, define schedule where you can block internet to certain devices); does 3400 have access control? Other than not being a gigabit router, review looks pretty good (not intending to use NAS).
#111300 by EX Bell
Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:54 pm
lbmofo wrote:In the manual of Netgear 3400, couldn't find access control section (example, define schedule where you can block internet to certain devices); does 3400 have access control? Other than not being a gigabit router, review looks pretty good (not intending to use NAS).

Yes. Section 6 Security - Can block by keyword or port filtering (on a schedule if you want). Unfortunately, I think this is also a model that is likely to be retired soon, so I don't know how much longer they'll be available. Newer models are not getting as good reviews.

The WiFi range is pretty impressive. I tested three floors up and had a very good signal.
#111630 by lbmofo
Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:25 pm
Ex Bell, my D-Link DIR-825 went belly up recently so I got a NETGEAR WNDR3400 from Staples.
The range (especially the 5GHz) is better than the DIR-825. CNET review was pretty good too: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear ... 69558.html
Bad luck got me a unit with 5GHz radio broken so I just went and exchanged; broken radio unit happend to be the bigger V2 hardware with lit up blue logo dome (I liked) but ended up with smaller V3 hardware with no lights on the logo dome.
#111691 by EX Bell
Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:25 am
lbmofo wrote:Ex Bell, my D-Link DIR-825 went belly up recently so I got a NETGEAR WNDR3400 from Staples.
The range (especially the 5GHz) is better than the DIR-825. CNET review was pretty good too: http://reviews.cnet.com/routers/netgear ... 69558.html
Bad luck got me a unit with 5GHz radio broken so I just went and exchanged; broken radio unit happend to be the bigger V2 hardware with lit up blue logo dome (I liked) but ended up with smaller V3 hardware with no lights on the logo dome.

A good router. I'm impressed. I put in a third just over a week ago. Furthest corner of a basement (worst placement possible) and yet the signal was strong on the opposite end of the house, top floor.

Some people don't like the blue lights on the Netgear dome (I am one of them), so many years ago Netgear included a silly black cover with a piece of double-stick tape to cover it. In later versions, they added a software switch to turn it on or off. With the WNDR 3400, you push on the dome to toggle the lights on or off.
#111693 by lbmofo
Mon Jul 15, 2013 6:52 am
I got the V3 hardware and it is much smaller than V1, 2. Also the dome light is no longer lit. The dome is just for looks now and no lights.
#111925 by lbmofo
Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:51 am
lbmofo wrote:Ex Bell, my D-Link DIR-825 went belly up recently so I got a NETGEAR WNDR3400 from Staples.

Related to my Netgear WNDR3400..... So, I thought it was my bad luck getting my first unit with a broken 5GHz radio. Turns out, it is a firmware issue or something like that.

After I got the V3 hardware replacement, all is good for almost a week until I rebooted (via the device page; no reason for reboot other than for the heck of it). The wifi wouldn't let any device join after the reboot. Changing the SSID or network name and/or password didn't help. Had to revert to factory default to make things work again. I thought to myself, this can't be normal, so I went and exchanged again. This time, I got the V2 hardware with the lit dome.

First thing I checked was the 5GHz radio (glad I got a non defective unit with working 5GHz I thought; when the 5GHz radio broke, the wifi status page showed 5GHz radio using channel "0"). I setup everything on the router including DHCP reservations, QoS policies via MACs, service blocks based on schedule and IPs. 5GHz radio was fine until I rebooted (via device page). Well, after I rebooted the router, it lost 5GHz radio again.

This is when I realized, can't be hardware failure because it was working before I rebooted via the device page and before I setup the router. Sure enough, I reverted to factory default and the 5GHz radio started working again. I can recreate the 5GHz radio turning off problem too; after reverting to factory default and when everything is working, simply delete some factory default QoS policies, reboot via device page and 5GHz radio would go out.

Short summary is setup your router according to your spec and then do not reboot via the device page. There is a power button where you can turn off the router and then turn back on if you ever needed to reboot the router.

Other observations:

Defining QoS policies with your own customized names may not stick; router, for some reason, drops all my defined policies after a while (I wanted to have QoS policy names like "Ooma Hub" and "Ooma Telo" instead of what's proposed by the router...some cryptic string of characters based on the MAC) but they are sticking so far after I left the cryptic policy names alone.

My D-Link DAP-1522 wifi bridges/aps showed up on connected devices list (with their static IPs and MAC of connected devices) when I changed their IPs from 192.168.0.5x to 192.168.1.5x. (D-Link uses 192.168.0.1 vs Negear 192.168.1.1). Changing their IPs back to 192.168.0.5x resolved the problem (now the devices connected to the bridges show up on the connected device list with their DHCP reserved IPs and their MACs). I haven't tried but I suppose if I changed the Netgear to use 192.168.0.1, the D-Link bridges would show up on the connected device list with their static IPs and connected devices' MACs.

Before I got my 3rd WNDR3400 through exchange from Staples, I thought hard about just returning the 2nd one (started to think their hardware QC was really bad) and getting one available from Costcos around me. My choices were Netgear WNDR3700, AC1450, WNDR4500 and Belkin AC900. None of these seemed to have better range and throughput (non 450Mbps clients) looking at CNET reviews. Since I found out the 5GHz radio turning off and wifi not letting device join is due to rebooting from the device page, I'll live with this short coming and enjoy the otherwise seemingly stable and nicely performing WNDR3400.