Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111165 by KenWL
Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:27 am
How many phones, on the phone jack, can an Ooma Linx support and what is the Linx’s Ringer Equivalence Number (REN)?
My Linx won't support the same 6 phones that the Telo will work with. When using the Linx, only one of the 6 phones will ring a "half ring" then there are no more rings. In other words, I can pick up the call, but I don't hear it ring on the other 4 phones. Standard phone companies (and Vonage) support a REN of 5. Three of my phones are self-powered and 3 are not.
#111183 by KenWL
Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:36 pm
Yes, I disconnected the house wiring from the phone company. For trouble shooting purposes, I swapped house lines connected to the telo and the linx. The problem followed the linx. The telo worked properly on both lines. I tried a different linx with the same poor results. I'm trying to find out if the linx has a lower REN than the telo.
#111188 by oldanbo
Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm
KenWL wrote:Yes, I disconnected the house wiring from the phone company. For trouble shooting purposes, I swapped house lines connected to the telo and the linx. The problem followed the linx. The telo worked properly on both lines. I tried a different linx with the same poor results. I'm trying to find out if the linx has a lower REN than the telo.


I haven't looked, but to my last recollection the REN is required by the FCC to appear somewhere on any device that plugs into the POTS network.
#111191 by murphy
Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:57 am
oldanbo wrote:
KenWL wrote:Yes, I disconnected the house wiring from the phone company. For trouble shooting purposes, I swapped house lines connected to the telo and the linx. The problem followed the linx. The telo worked properly on both lines. I tried a different linx with the same poor results. I'm trying to find out if the linx has a lower REN than the telo.


I haven't looked, but to my last recollection the REN is required by the FCC to appear somewhere on any device that plugs into the POTS network.

The Linx does not plug into the POTS network.
The POTS network must be disconnected from a house before a Linx can be connected to it's phone jacks.
#111193 by oldanbo
Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:53 am
murphy wrote:
oldanbo wrote:
KenWL wrote:Yes, I disconnected the house wiring from the phone company. For trouble shooting purposes, I swapped house lines connected to the telo and the linx. The problem followed the linx. The telo worked properly on both lines. I tried a different linx with the same poor results. I'm trying to find out if the linx has a lower REN than the telo.


I haven't looked, but to my last recollection the REN is required by the FCC to appear somewhere on any device that plugs into the POTS network.

The Linx does not plug into the POTS network.
The POTS network must be disconnected from a house before a Linx can be connected to it's phone jacks.


Sorry, tis true. I should have finished my thought. Thanks.
#111350 by KenWL
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:03 pm
If you can't answer a simple question "What is the Linx’s Ringer Equivalence Number (REN)?" without asking another question, just admit you don't know the answer.
The REN refers to the amount of "power" is available to drive the ringer on common house telephones. Check wikilinks if you want more information.
I'm sorry but I don't really have a lot of time to spend chatting.
#111352 by oldanbo
Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:24 pm
KenWL wrote:If you can't answer a simple question "What is the Linx’s Ringer Equivalence Number (REN)?" without asking another question, just admit you don't know the answer.
The REN refers to the amount of "power" is available to drive the ringer on common house telephones. Check wikilinks if you want more information.
I'm sorry but I don't really have a lot of time to spend chatting.


Hi Kenwl,

Just a quick question. To whom was your response directed? It would be nice if you could be a little civil in your response.
Cheers
#111355 by oldanbo
Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 pm
lbmofo wrote:KenWL probably directed that to me. No worries. The more people reply the more chance a mod or someone who knows would see so it is actually helping.


no worries here. while his response was accurate re:REN, it just seems like a holier than thou response to a newbie. Now, if he would like to discuss voltages of REN's and Ohms........but, I too am too busy to feed that troll.

BTW, lbmofo, you have been a great resource to these forums. No BS.

Regards,
Dan

All flames can be directed to my PM

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests