Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9721 by Don Z.
Fri May 15, 2009 7:51 am
Hi,

I installed my new Ooma hub last night between my cable modem and router. I'm having several problems:

1. I use a Sonicwall TZ170 VPN router that allows me to connect to my network computers and security camera while I'm away using VPN. With the Ooma hub installed I can not connect VPN from the outside. I think it because the Ooma Hub assigns my router a different IP than the modem. Without the Ooma hub my router is assigned my public IP through the modem. I put the Ooma hub behind my router and it works but of course it now can't do the prioritizing it does when installed before the router. Is there a way to have the Ooma hub pass through the VPN while still having it prioritize traffic?

2. Everything was working (except VPN) normally last night. However, this morning the Internet had slowed to a crawl on everything after the Ooma hub. I bypassed it and everything returned to normal. The hub seems to be pulling down the connection after a period of time. Has anyone noticed this or is it just me?

3. I have never seen a blue light on my hub even though it is connected and working. Maybe a bad bulb?

Can anyone help with these questions? I must say that this installation has not gone as well as I hoped. I kept getting errors during the activation process and had to call to have it activated. Now the VPN and Internet problems. Hopefully there are some easy answers.

Thanks.
#9722 by murphy
Fri May 15, 2009 8:09 am
1. With the ooma hub between the modem and the router, you have to put the router in the hub's DMZ address. The easiest way to do that is to set the DHCP server in the hub so it can only issue one IP address and then put that address in the DMZ location.

2. If you put the ooma hub behind your router there should be nothing connected to the hub's home port. Treat it like it is another computer.

3. Turn the knob on the right side of the hub to change the intensity of the blue light. The knob does not affect the red light.
#9723 by Don Z.
Fri May 15, 2009 8:37 am
Thanks for the reply murphy,

How do I access the DHCP settings, etc. in the Ooma hub?

I've learned that I can control the prioritizing in my router using QoS. I would rather put the Ooma hub after the router and set the Ooma hub to high priority. The problem is I do not seem to have QoS settings in the Sonicwall TZ170. Linksys has it but not Sonicwall? I may need the enhanced firmware which costs as much as $500. Grrr...

I'll have to check the brightness control for the blue light when I get home. I never thought there'd be a control for that.

Thanks again!
#9724 by murphy
Fri May 15, 2009 8:52 am
Don Z. wrote:How do I access the DHCP settings, etc. in the Ooma hub?

Connect a computer to the Home port and connect to

setup.ooma.com