Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#111006 by bbaldwin
Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:08 pm
I'm scheduled for my port on Tuesday, and I'd like to get all my home phone jacks working. I just checked the old Bell Atlantic box, and all the wires are cut... probably when I moved in and got Time Warner Cable digital phone.

I just went in the TWC box and unplugged all the phone wires there. Came inside and checked the phone lines... all dead!

Except... where the cable line comes in, a phone line comes in, too. It's got a splitter, with one phone line going to my modem and the other to a phone. That phone still works.

How do I disconnect it? Or... do I even have to? Did I need to unplug anything in the TWC box?
Attachments
Splitter.jpg
Splitter.jpg (9.82 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
Cable Boxes.jpg
Cable Boxes.jpg (15.85 KiB) Viewed 3699 times
#111010 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:28 pm
You probably should have left everything the way you found it.

Your cable company should have disconnected your house wires from the telephone company when they setup their cable phone service.

If you could get everything the way it was when you found it....

Here is what you need to do.

The cable modem has a phone cord connected to a walljack. You connect that phone cord from the cable modem. All your phones connected to your walljacks should be dead when you do this. You take that phone cord and connect it to Ooma's "phone" port. Your phones should come back to life with Ooma dialtone.
#111015 by bbaldwin
Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:26 am
Sounds good. I can get everything back to the way it was.

So I can keep the splitter? With one line going to my Telo and the other to my phone?

And... can I get rid of the splitter, replacing it with a regular single jack (connected to the Telo)? It's sort of hideous the way it dangles out of the receptacle.

Thanks!
#111020 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:38 am
Do you lose dial tone (all wall jacks?) when you unplug the phone cord from your cable modem? Your dangling "splitter" has a phone connected on the other connection? Does that phone lose dialtone too?
If so, that means your modem and the phone on the "splitter" is using the same wire pair so you can replace the wall plate with one that has cable coax as well as a phone jack.