Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#110992 by westcoastbound
Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:30 pm
Hello All,

Just installed Ooma for the first time and it works like a charm. I have ported my home number from the local cable company. However I know that the landline must be physically disconnected and I'm not sure how to do that as I am technically challenged. I have posted the pic of the box. Not sure how what to do. Please advise?
photo.JPG
BOX
photo.JPG (36.79 KiB) Viewed 2327 times
#110993 by lbmofo
Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:59 pm
The pic you posted is not the phone company NID but if you had cable phone service, when they installed it, they must have disconnected the phone company from your house wiring. Check for a phone cord going from your modem to a wall jack. Just disconnect that cord from the cable modem and connect it to Ooma's phone port instead. Later on, it would be better if you get your own modem. Motorola SB6121 is a popular one.
#111026 by westcoastbound
Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:11 am
lbmofo wrote:The pic you posted is not the phone company NID but if you had cable phone service, when they installed it, they must have disconnected the phone company from your house wiring. Check for a phone cord going from your modem to a wall jack. Just disconnect that cord from the cable modem and connect it to Ooma's phone port instead. Later on, it would be better if you get your own modem. Motorola SB6121 is a popular one.

Thanks for your response and excuse my ignorance, as I ask one more question. AGain, Im sort of technically challenged. :!: Once I disconnect the cord from the modem and connect to Ooma phone port, all of the phone should have the dial tone. Will one of the phones need to be connected to Ooma's phone port for all of the phones to have a dial tone in the house. Would I need a splitter somewhere?
#111027 by lbmofo
Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am
With cable phone service, your modem was providing the dialtone. With Ooma, your Ooma device would be providing the dialtone so however you had setup (feed the same walljack/splitter using Ooma instead of cable modem) and all should work the same as before. No new splitter or new device/setup required.