Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#110917 by thebarnman
Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:55 pm
Since I don't have a working digital camera, here's a drawing of my outdoor phone box. The left side is Line 2 and the right side is Line 1. This is the consumer part of the box.

By the way, both of the "Test Jacks" have "regular" black phone jacks inserted into them.

What needs to be disconnected? What needs to be spliced together (if anything?)

Thanks,

By the way, not being an expert here, I'm calling the (White/Blue) and the (Blue/White) wires that have been snipped those names because it seems like there's more "White" on the (White/Blue) wire and more "Blue" on the (Blue/White) wire.

Either way, they both have blue and white on the plastic part of those two wires.
#110929 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:49 am
Just unplug the modular plugs from the test jacks, you should lose your dialtone in your house walljacks (verify). If you don't have DSL, nothing else to be done.
#110948 by thebarnman
Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:27 am
Thanks.

Now I'm double checking. Once I pull the modular plugs from the test jacks and verify I have no dial tone throughout the house (I don't have DSL,)

THEN I can then (safely) hook up Ooma to one of my indoor wall jacks without worrying about ruining the Ooma unit?

Thanks again,
#110949 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:14 am
Doesn't seem like you have landline service right now so you can not tell if you unplug the plugs whether you lose dialtone or not? Without a picture, can't really tell you definitively. On the left green do you have white orange connected? Don't understand what you mean by wires snipped. Do you have 1 wire bunch going into the house or multiple? If you have just one, getting all the wires off of terminals would be safer. If you have more than 1 wire bunch, once the wires are off terminals, need to connect the wires that were connected together on the terminal together using butt splice connectors.
#110955 by thebarnman
Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 am
"Doesn't seem like you have landline service right now so you can not tell if you unplug the plugs whether you lose dialtone or not?"

I do have land line service right now from my local phone company.

So early today, I went out and unplugged the two plugs. To my surprise, I'm still getting a dial tone from my local phone company.

"Without a picture, can't really tell you definitively. On the left green do you have white orange connected?"

No. The White/Orange is connected to the Red connection on the left.

When you look at my drawing and look at the Red connection on the left, above it I indicate "This red connection has a Orange/White wire connected to it.)

"Don't understand what you mean by wires snipped."

On the right Green connection, there's also a wire connected to it that's White/Blue in color. However, that White/Blue wire is only about 1/2 inch or less and was cut or snipped with what looks like a wire cutter. Another words, that White/Blue wire connected to the right Green goes nowhere and is not connecting to anything.

The same thing about the Blue/White wire connected on the Red connection on the right.

By the way, I looked again at the Blue/White wire on the right, (that's connected to the Red wire) and it seems more like a solid Blue wire. However like above, that "Blue" wire is less than a 1/2 inch and is cut or snipped with a wire cutter and does not connect to anything.

"Do you have 1 wire bunch going into the house or multiple?"

Unfortunately, I do not know. That's something beyond me since I don't know what to look for. I have no idea what to look for when it comes to wire bunches going into the house.

"If you have just one, getting all the wires off of terminals would be safer. If you have more than 1 wire bunch, once the wires are off terminals, need to connect the wires that were connected together on the terminal together using butt splice connectors."

Also unfortunately, that's beyond me. I might have to call the phone company and have them do that for me.

It's too bad pulling out the two "Test Jack" phone cords didn't result with a No Dial Tone results. I guess that would have been too simple.
#110956 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:21 am
You must have another box near this box. The only thing you have connected to the terminal is White-Orange but you'd also need Orange-White connected to receive dialtone in your house. See if you have another box nearby.
#110959 by thebarnman
Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:59 am
Here's the other box.

There's four screws.

The two on the left have green plastic caps on them.

The two on the right have red plastic caps on them.

While looking at the drawing, you can see what colored wires are attached to those colored screws.

This time however, there are four phone jacks. The two in the middle have phone jacks connected to them.

For the heck of it, I unplugged both jacks and my dial tone went away. The jack 2nd from the top is the one supplying the ring tone.

The 3rd jack from the top does not provide a dial tone.

#110961 by thebarnman
Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:39 pm
I don't mean to get ahead of myself, however;

Even though I was able to eliminate the dial tone by removing the phone jacks, I plugged them back in to wait for your response.

If removing those two plugs is all that is needed to remove the dial tone (and of course verifying again there's no dial tone from inside the house,) would it then be safe to hook up Ooma to a inside wall phone jack?

Thanks,
#110968 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:26 pm
Yes, if you currently have dialtone from landline service and when you disconnect the plugs, you don't get dialtone anymore, that means your house wiring is disconnected from the phone company and you are safe to plug Ooma's "phone" port into a walljack and you'd get Ooma dialtone throughout your house.

I would disconnect both plugs and wrap them with scotch tape so it would be harder for others to make mistake and plug them back in.