Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#110776 by paulb787
Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:19 pm
Not trying to be sarcastic. However want to get a message out to people who are done installing and having issues. Especially with call quality. The ooma just didnt work for me however im not saying it might not be right for others.

My Experience: I have a 50mbps Down and 10 up internet service. PLENTY of bandwith.
Right off the bat after installing I noticed stuttering in my calls. Sound would be perfect for a minute or so and then a little stutter would occur. I didn't expect it to be perfect but I could not handle it nor my wife. Even the dial tone(after chime) had this static choppiness to it. I came directly from vonage which was flawless.

What I Did (ooma behind router):
disabled qos on ooma and set up on router.static ip .. the whole nine yards (built in mac address)
Made sure all ports were forwarded correctly. As well using the port scanner tool.
contacted Customer service. absolutely horrible! I recommend to immediately ask for level 2 tech support
for fun I tried ooma between modem and router. would never install this way but I tried it. SAME THING
finally exchanged the ooma for another ooma. I was hoping it was bad. SAME THING.

My belief

Oomas server is the problem. the call quality will always be fair and people will experience issues until they fix it. Ooma needs to do something because it is on there end.

Conclusion:
The obi202 has been fantastic. It has a 1000 more features then ooma for half the price. It is unlocked and can be used with a number of VOIP services. Google voice being one of them. Each voip service is feature rich! Call quality is outstanding. you can have up to 4 VOIP services.
http://www.amazon.com/OBi202-Phone-Adapter-Router-2-Phone/dp/B007D930YO

My message is to those who are having problems. If you are happy by all means I am glad for you. I tried everything to get the ooma working right and wasted a weekend off. porting etc... for those having issues please look at the obi202. Especially before going back to your old 20-50 dollar service. I feel everything would be a bust and a waist if I didn't find something to justify an entire weekend.

Thanks
Paul
#110788 by lbmofo
Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:36 pm
paulb787 wrote:What I Did (ooma behind router):
disabled qos on ooma and set up on router.static ip .. the whole nine yards (built in mac address)
Made sure all ports were forwarded correctly. As well using the port scanner tool.

Ooma is plug and play. Just need to hook it up to your router without you doing anything, it should work fine.

paulb787 wrote:I recommend to immediately ask for level 2 tech support
for fun I tried ooma between modem and router. would never install this way but I tried it. SAME THING
finally exchanged the ooma for another ooma. I was hoping it was bad. SAME THING.

Same thing with Ooma connected directly to modem, you just need to power cycle the modem and Ooma should come right up without you having to do anything.

paulb787 wrote:My belief
Oomas server is the problem. the call quality will always be fair and people will experience issues until they fix it. Ooma needs to do something because it is on there end.

No Ooma servers do not have issues. It is 99.99% user's internet. Internet speed/bandwidth alone does not give you great VoIP, other components are at play like jitter and latency. Some peoples' internet quality just can't handle VoIP.

paulb787 wrote:My message is to those who are having problems. If you are happy by all means I am glad for you. I tried everything to get the ooma working right and wasted a weekend off. porting etc... for those having issues please look at the obi202. Especially before going back to your old 20-50 dollar service. I feel everything would be a bust and a waist if I didn't find something to justify an entire weekend.

You are not the first person that came on here and talked about how Obihai was their choice. It always amazes me how something so simple such as Ooma didn't work for them yet something so complicated (relatively speaking compared to Ooma) such as Obihai can work for the same people that couldn't get the simpler Ooma to work. I say it doesn't smell right.
#110817 by MapleOne
Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 pm
The Obi202 has a very long feature list and could be a dream for a phone hacker. However there are some significant shortcomings.

If you're doing something more sophisticated with the device it seems to be relatively easy to get it into an unrecoverable 'boot loop'. The firmware is immature and I'm not sure Obihai has what it takes to make it stable. Using the hardware pushbutton reset will restore it to factory configuration but hours of work can quickly be lost.

Another issue is telephone handset compatibility. The device seems to have significant problems with wired handsets that causes a loud hum and buzzing on the line. Obihai's response is simply, "use a wireless phone". This is clearly a hardware design defect that needs to be addressed. Telephone compatibility should be a given.

To further illustrate that it doesn't perform well at its most basic function of interfacing with phones there is a firmware option present to help mitigate a power supply limitation when two phones are ringing simultaneously.

The out of the box configuration pretty much assumes it's being used "in between" your LAN and your Internet service. If you simply planned on hanging it off of your network somewhere you've got a bunch of additional steps to follow to allow you to configure the device.

If you plan on using this in the most naive way possible with one wireless handset and Google Voice then go for it. If you're an Asterisk hacker beware of this product, it's not finished. It'd be an amazing product if it did all of the things it claims to!

The quote is from your link, it shows a not so good review of obi.

My Ooma works flawless and at $3.95 a month for basic I challenge you to find another provider to match this price.
Not sure about Google voice but even if... they eventually will go paid.
#110836 by paulb787
Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:10 am
I liked the ooma to. don't get me wrong it just had fair audio quality. Again, you guys all helped me out. Thank you.. just wanted to give u my final solution and maybe this will help someone down the road. been 5 days with the obi202 and so far no problems at all. The great thing with the obi202 is you can try google voice, and 20 30 other VOIP providers. you are not stuck with one bad service. Also.. a feature that I just found and love is you can call record from your computer or over the phone incoming and outgoing calls. way better then google voice's setup. My message is to the people who are returning ooma and going back to att or Comcast. WAIT! you have to give this a shot.
#111071 by allo
Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 pm
I had 2 Google Voice #s for over 3 years and did not use them much because of the clumsy way to go thru to do that... until I became aware 10 days ago of the Obi202... which I immediately ordered and have been using and testing since last weekend.
All i can say so far is "Wow !" for the excellent call quality ... compared to OOMA call quality which has been mostly fair, with some lows nonetheless.
Don't get me wrong ... I am not saying Ooma is not a good alternative to most landlines phones; it is ... but it has some work to do to improve the over all call quality.
Personally, nowadays i use mostly Cell phones... however, I will be keeping Ooma and Obihai for certain...

#111082 by Tuan
Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:08 pm
If you use the Obi202 with Google Voice, the voice quality is hit and miss.

Like Paul said, the nice thing about the Obi is that the box is unnlocked and you can use it with any voip service that supports the Obi. I decided to sign up with a paid service over Google Voice, so I can get reliable voice quality and additional features.

Both the Obi202 and the Ooma Telo are great products. I'm using both for my business in case one server goes down. It's a bit complicated to integrate the 2, but I feel it's the safest way if you want to use voip only.
#111152 by William J Toensing
Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:57 pm
:x How can I call customer support (on my cell phone) & talk to a LIVE person??? I just signed up for ooma this month & was able to port my phone number this week. I called (888)711-6662 on my seldom used costly cell phone & all I get is these 4 computer generated prompts & can't talk to a live person! Worked OK yesterday but today I can't get a dial tome or make any outgoing phone calls! When I call my ported home phone from my cell phone, I get a recording that my phone is not available & to leave a recorded message. If this is the kind of service I get from Ooma I will bet Magic Jack will be even worse. Although AT&T landline is very expensive, at least after automated computer prompts which I HATE!!! I can talk to a live person. I have tried for 2 hours to resolve this and all I get is nowhere. :x :?
#111155 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:05 pm
Reboot your whole setup.
Turn off your modem, router, ooma.
One by one, turn it on starting from modem. Wait until each device gets online before next one is turned on.
#137176 by ikishk
Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 am
I know this is a semi-dead thread. But I have to say Ooma went above and beyond when I had a non "home user" issue w/ the telo. The telo was initially designed to fit into a plugnplay/upnp environment OR be your home router. In my case I use an enterprise grade firewall which does not support upnp. I refused to stick my telo "outside." Ooma engineers called me directly to discuss the situation. In the end, they figured out a way to enable TCP phone-homes, instead of depending on their initial UDP phone-homes which failed in a NAT environment w/o upnp.

My ooma is flawless, it has actually excelled past my obi110 in call quality. since the obi110 is EOL this year, I was researching the 200/202, and stumbled upon this thread and wanted to toss my 2 cents in. If you are able to contact support, and get someone knowledgeable and able to debug your situation, they will always come through.