Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#110688 by dolphin_gurl
Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:27 pm
Anyone had experience porting a land line number from Bell Canada?

I have only filled out the porting form on the Ooma side, I have not spoken with Bell.
Will I be charged an additional fee from Bell for not notifying them in advance of the Port?

I know I can't cancel with Bell in order to preserve the number but I also don't want to get dinged for not having given 30 days notice. I have heard you notify Bell of the Port and instruct Ooma to port in 30 days to avoid fees... I am just not sure if this is necessary.

Can anyone let me know of their experience with porting a Bell land line phone number?
Thanks for the help.
#110691 by EX Bell
Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:32 pm
As my username should tell you, I have experience with this. In fact, I install Ooma for my clients and 7 of the 21 I've installed to date have been Bell customers. Porting from Bell to Ooma is actually a resonably pain free process, so don't be concerned. Welcome to Ooma, you've made a good choice.

Do not worry about anything until the port completes. It will typically take Bell 14 days to port-out the number to Ooma. Usually 14 days on the nose. Your Bell account will close when your number port has completed. You do not need to phone them to inform them of anything. You will not be assessed a penalty, CRTC rules prevent this, however you must have your account in good standing and you are responsible for any unpaid amounts.

Since you were not charged for 30 days from the day you started your phone service with Bell, you are responsible for payment of the 30 days following the cancellation of your account (which occurs due to number porting in your case). This is nothing new and has always been stated in their terms of service. Depending on the period ending and payments you've made, you may be entitled to a refund. Of course, you will have to ask for this afterward. No surprise there.

On the day the number ports, you may find that around 11am the Bell phone line no longer works, but when you call your number from a cell phone or another line, it does not ring the Ooma Telo. Do no be concerned. It can take Ooma up to 24 hours to complete the port, but I have never seen it take this long. Usually your number is working with Ooma by 5pm of same day.

When your number has been successfully ported to Ooma, check to see if your account is in fact closed and you are not continuing to be charged by Bell. I have not seen this happen, since Bell seems to be accustomed to losing customers by now, but it's good to check. If you use the Bell online account access, you will see if the account is closed. One of my client's number still shows up on her account, but she only has internet with them, and the phone service does not get charged. No clue why it's there on her account, as mine is gone.

Lastly, you did not mention if you had Bell Internet service, but if you don't you can just skip the remainder of this post, as it has nothing to do with a standard number port from Bell Canada if your internet is not with them.

If you do have Bell Internet service, don't worry about ordering a dry loop. Bell does this automatically and you do not have to pay for it. If you phone in advance, you will be told many different things and they are all wrong. Do nothing and your internet will continue to work. Bell does not want to stop charging their internet customers, so they will automatically setup a dry-loop when a number port has been requested by a Bell internet customer. Neither I or any of my clients have lost internet connection for even one minute due to number porting. However, after the number port completes, you will need a dry-loop number to get internet tech support service, if needed. This is because all Bell customers are based on a phone number, so a dry loop number has to be assigned. Good luck. This can be a painful experience, since many of their techs are missinformed and will insist that your old number is the Bell dry-loop number. This is wrong and the easiest thing to do if you run into this confusion with them is to just ask them to create a new dry-loop number for you.
Last edited by EX Bell on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#110693 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:48 pm
EX Bell wrote:If you do have Bell Internet service, don't worry about ordering a dry loop. Bell does this automatically and you do not have to pay for it. If you phone in advance, you will be told many different things and they are all wrong. Do nothing and your internet will continue to work. Bell does not want to stop charging their internet customers, so they will automatically setup a dry-loop when a number port has been requested by a Bell internet customer. Neither I or any of my clients have lost internet connection for even one minute due to number porting.

What a great concept. I wonder why the big boys didn't figure that out yet here in the US.
#113016 by joolsca
Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:26 am
Hey, EX Bell....

Can I ask, since you seem to be knowledgable about issues like mine:

I am in Toronto and put in a port request from Bell Canada on Aug 19th. I got an email from Ooma on Aug 23, noting the reqest and saying the port should go through around Sept 18th.

Yesterday, Ooma sent an email stating the port would now be around Sept 27th...

This has me a little worried. I thought a port over from Bell should be pretty straight forward (Ooma has all my info i.e. PDF of recent bill etc).

Does Bell screw around with customers when they try to get out?
#113017 by EX Bell
Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:58 am
joolsca wrote:Hey, EX Bell....

Can I ask, since you seem to be knowledgable about issues like mine:

I am in Toronto and put in a port request from Bell Canada on Aug 19th. I got an email from Ooma on Aug 23, noting the reqest and saying the port should go through around Sept 18th.

Yesterday, Ooma sent an email stating the port would now be around Sept 27th...

This has me a little worried. I thought a port over from Bell should be pretty straight forward (Ooma has all my info i.e. PDF of recent bill etc).

Does Bell screw around with customers when they try to get out?

No they don't do that. Support from Bell typically takes 14 business days. That means nothing is happening in your process on Saturday and Sunday. Ooma's estimates are very conservative and typically the port will happen faster than Ooma estimates.

A recent report from Bell took only seven business days. Unusually fast. Since you placed your order on the 19th, your port will probably happen this Friday, or this coming Monday. Typically the Bell line will disconnect around 11 AM and Ooma will have it on their system somewhere between 2 and 5 PM in the afternoon. Once the port is complete you sometimes need to unplug your Telo for two minutes to act number on your Telo.

Meanwhile you will be able to make calls from your Ooma the entire time, but there will be a short period where you will not be able to receive calls on your number that is being ported.
#113019 by joolsca
Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 am
Thanks for the info.

....and then, since I am getting rid of my temp number but that is the LOG IN for My Ooma (and the mobile Ooma), will it automatically be updated at My Ooma? Or do I need to re-register to set up my new primary (ported) number as the LOG IN ID and re-add the secondary (US number)?
#113021 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:47 am
No need to register with my.ooma.com again. Just login to my.ooma.com using the ported in number instead of the Ooma assigned number (same password).
#113029 by EX Bell
Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:56 pm
joolsca wrote:Thanks for the info.

....and then, since I am getting rid of my temp number but that is the LOG IN for My Ooma (and the mobile Ooma), will it automatically be updated at My Ooma? Or do I need to re-register to set up my new primary (ported) number as the LOG IN ID and re-add the secondary (US number)?

Double-check immediately after porting to make sure your US number is still in the secondary position. If you specified it to be the secondary number when you requested the number port, then you should be fine. When my number ported, the temporary Ooma number dropped to the secondary number position and removed my US number entirely. However, I believe at the time that I ordered my number port, they did not have the field they now have during the process that requests you to specify what number will be the primary number and which the secondary. Still, they do occasionally still make a mistake. My last Ooma install, I had to phone customer service and ask them to switch the primary and secondary around because they got them backwards from what was requested for my client.

In my case, I was also helped by customer service. A single phone call and my US number was restored, dropping the temporary Ooma number as intended. Mistakes can happen, and it always seems to work out fine. I've had overall good experiences with Ooma customer service.