Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9660 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 8:15 am
Ok. Sorry about the confusion.

1. Connect a short phone cable between the wall port on the hub and the wall port on the scout. Nothing else needs to be connected here. The scout should now function properly. If not, power cycle both.

2. If you are looking to have a phone for each line in your office and bedroom, plug a regular splitter into both the hub and scout phone jacks. Plug a cable into one side of the splitter on the hub's phone jack and connect it to the L1 jack of the 2 line splitter. Plug another cable into the splitter on the scout's phone jack and connect it to the L2 jack of the 2 line splitter. Your phones can be plugged into the remaing jacks on the hub and scout's phone jacks. This will also distribute both lines to your bedroom for additional phones for each line in that room. Don't use the L1+L2 jacks on the 2 way splitters. They require special cables.

BTW, I'm assuming that the hub and scout are in your office?
#9662 by slr001
Thu May 14, 2009 8:47 am
My assumption is that since he posted a pic of a two line wall jack, he has those through the house. And he wants to distribute Line 1 (Hub line) to appear on Jack 1 of all of his two line wall plates. And then distribute Line 2 (Scout line) to appear on Jack 2 of all of his two line wall plates.

I don't think this can be accomplished... But maybe it can. Connecting the Hub to Jack 1 distributes its line to Jack 1 of all wall plates. However for the Scout to connect it also has to have its wall port connected to Jack 1. Therefore there isn't another port on the Scout to connect and distribut to the Jack 2 presence on the remaining wall plates. Maybe a reverse splitter that connects the Scout to both Jack 1 (to talk to the Hub) and Jack 2 to distribute the Line 2 would work?

Anyway if my assumption of what the OP wants to do is incorrect, then never mind :)
#9666 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 9:03 am
The hub's wall port doesn't have to be connected to a wall jack unless it's integrated with landline, which in this case, it's not. It only has to be connected to the scout's wall port so that they can communicate with each other. I have a similar setup. True. If other jacks are distributed in other rooms in the house and they are all connected together in the demarc box, the lines will be distributed to those rooms as well. I only mentioned the office and bedroom because they were the only rooms he mentioned in his original post. His house wiring would be connected to the hub and scout's phone ports.
#9667 by southsound
Thu May 14, 2009 9:03 am
Several folks do this successfully. Their are two jacks on the scout. The wall jack goes to the wall jack on the hub. The phone jack on the scout carries "line 2". All you need to do is use regular phone cables from the phone jack on the hub to supply "line 1" and another from the scout to supply "line 2". As has been said, if you need phones in the same room as the hub and scout, just use a single line splitter for each line. (Single line splitters just duplicate the same wiring to two jacks so you can plug in several phones to the same connection).

One thing I noticed is that your wiring is done with the older style "quad" phone wire that was discontinued 30 or so years ago. It is capable of carrying two lines, but the pairs are not twisted as they are in more modern Cat 3 or Cat 5 wiring. This can lead to crosstalk in some situations. It may not be a problem for you, but if you notice it when both lines are in use, the quad wiring could be the cause.
#9670 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 9:30 am
I had quad wiring in my house and replaced most of it with cat5. I have 4 lines in my house, 1 landline not associated with ooma, a hub and dedicated scout, and a second hub. The first hub and scout combo are in different rooms, so I had the wall ports of each hooked to my landline to communicate. Although there was no crosstalk between lines (audio), my scout would not communicate with the hub. When I replaced the wiring with cat5, the problem went away.
#9674 by t4feb
Thu May 14, 2009 11:03 am
Got them both work fine now home rings one phone and scout rings the other one Thanks for all the help every things works fine now