Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9638 by t4feb
Thu May 14, 2009 3:38 am
Hello I hope this question is not to dumb but I need some advice on a wall jack next to my desk where the phones are. I have included a picture of what I'm asking or talking about. I need my scout set up on a separate line for incoming and outgoing calls and I'm stuck on how to do this with the wiring I have because its all a big puzzle to me or maybe it just can not be done. But they say the only dumb question is the one you don't ask so don't be to hard on me if this is a dumb question. I think the picture says it all. Thanks in advance for any help in this matter. As you can see in the picture the yellow and black wire is not hooked up and wrapped around the top line. I have a second wall jack in one of the bedrooms but not sure if the yellow and black wire is hooked to it. Again Thanks
Attachments
PhoneJack.JPG
PhoneJack.JPG (55.43 KiB) Viewed 3951 times
#9639 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 4:38 am
It's definitely possible and it's not a dumb question! You would have to hook the yellow wire to terminal 3 and the black wire to terminal 4. Check your terminal device in the other room and if necessary, do the same thing. Since both jacks in your terminal device have all 4 wires, you will need to get a 2 line splitter to plug into one of the jacks in each room. The splitter will have three jacks labeled L1, L2, and L1+L2. Use L1 for your hub phone and L2 for your scout phone. You should also check that the yellow and black wires are disconnected from the telco's wiring at the demarc box. Hope I didn't confuse you!
#9642 by t4feb
Thu May 14, 2009 5:05 am
jmassimilla Thank you very much for the help in this matter. The plug in the picture has 2 plugins and I was not sure if I could just hook the wires up and plug the other phone into what I have marked as line 2. But I will do as you suggested and see how it all pans out. Thank you again and I will post back how it all went. I'm headed to radio shack to get the splitters
Last edited by t4feb on Thu May 14, 2009 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
#9643 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 5:09 am
You can do that also but it would require rewiring the wall jack and I thought this way would be less confusing. If you want to do it that way, let me know and I'll walk you through it.
#9653 by t4feb
Thu May 14, 2009 6:49 am
Ok jmassimilla I did what you said and the hub phone still works fine but the scout has all 4 bottom buttons red and no dial tone. I checked the wall jack in the bedroom and all the wires are hooked up and went to the out side box and the yellow and black are disconnected. So maybe I did something wrong.
#9655 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 6:57 am
Where is the scout located in relation to the hub and what is the scout's WALL jack plugged into? What is the hub's WALL jack plugged into? I assumed that you were using line 2 to distribute the scout's PHONE jack to other rooms.
#9657 by t4feb
Thu May 14, 2009 7:19 am
I have the scout sitting next to the hub and have them plugged into the splitter. The WALL jack is plugged into the splitter from the scout and the phone is in the phone jack on the scout. I have the wall jack from the hub plugged into the L1+L2 is that right? Like I said I may have things screwed up
#9658 by jmassimilla
Thu May 14, 2009 7:42 am
I'm still a little confused on exactly what you are trying to do. The wall plug on the hub has to be connected to the wall plug on the scout for the scout to work properly. The four red lights indicate that they are not communicating with each other. How are you trying to set up your phones and how many phone numbers do you have? If 2, is one a landline? If you have a landline is ooma configured to work with it or is it separate? Also, do you have DSL or cable for your internet?
#9659 by t4feb
Thu May 14, 2009 7:52 am
OK first I have cable and the land line service was shut down because I had my number ported. I have 2 numbers with ooma one on the hub and one on the scout. What I am trying to do is have one phone for hub and one phone for scout that rings in on different lines. One for home and one for a small business line. I hope I have covered what I am trying to do. Thanks