Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#110030 by murphy
Sat May 18, 2013 1:50 pm
EX Bell wrote:
murphy wrote:
ege bamyasi wrote:Good suggestions. If you're skilled enough to be switching out caps, you should be able to switch out the connector to a new power supply, if need be.

Yes but it costs money to buy a new power supply.
I already have an inventory of electrolytic capacitors so it only costs my time to repair one.

Here's what the Telo looks like inside [scroll down]. I see only surface mount capacitors. Very difficult to diagnose, desolder and re-solder without overheating other components or causing the circuit traces to lift from excessive heat. Still, if you're successful, please post your results. Good luck.

The electrolytic capacitors would be inside of the power supply, not inside of the Telo.
It's not my unit that has a problem. I didn't start this thread. My Telo and my Hub are both working fine.
#110032 by ege bamyasi
Sat May 18, 2013 4:11 pm
I really don't think that cap(acitor) failiure in the Ooma Telo unit itself is an issue, if caps are an issue at all. If it's a problem, almost certainly it's in the wall-wart power supply. Up until a couple of years ago (OK 5 years) most power supplies were based on transformers with rectifier diodes and filter caps. The new wall-warts are switch-mode or "digital" circuits without transformers. Have you ever noticed how light and small they've become? Switch mode power supplies are much more effecient, but can put a heavy stress on the capacitors within them and generally produce high frequency noise. I'm not saying that Ooma shouldn't use these devices. Indeed, since they are powered up 24/7, I think switch-mode is the way to go due to efficiency advantages. It's just that it might be the weak link in the chain as far as reliability at this point.
#110037 by EX Bell
Sat May 18, 2013 10:53 pm
murphy wrote:The electrolytic capacitors would be inside of the power supply, not inside of the Telo.
It's not my unit that has a problem. I didn't start this thread. My Telo and my Hub are both working fine.

Understood Murphy. I was really addressing peabody's comment about cracking the Telo open to check caps and just made a poor choice in quoting. Sorry about that.

@windoor - The actual possible warrenty extension period is 2 years for a total of 3 years covered. So a 2 year conspiracy theroy doesn't pan out. I'm sure you don't believe that. Lots of people have had their Telo beyond that mark. Not only that, but Ooma has an unbelievably fair warranty policy. You are correct, it is a good deal, but as TPower pointed out, it's only $39.99 a year (to a max of two years) and that makes it only $3.34 a month. A great deal!

While most companies would force you to buy the entire two year extension at once to get all your money in one shot, Ooma lets you buy a year extension, but just before that year extension runs out, you can buy another year at the same price to get your total of three years of warranty coverage. I mean, who does that? It's a policy that is unbelievably generous. Policies like this are why I'm happy to be an Ooma customer and why I'm glad to bring other people on as Ooma customers.
#110068 by peabody
Sun May 19, 2013 7:45 pm
Well, it's certainly true that replacing the power supply is your best shot at fixing a Telo. If something goes bad inside the box, it's unlikely you would be able to find it, or fix it. But it's not impossible. And if you're going to throw it away anyway and buy a new one, you might as well open it up and take a look, just in case. From the picture, it looks like there are a few electrolytic capacitors, and you might find that one or more has broken down.