Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109775 by risuzaru
Sat May 11, 2013 3:18 pm
I've got a new home, and I told them not to hook up the phone line since I was going to be using Ooma. So outside I have the wires to the jacks as can be seen in the attachment. Obviously, the dial tone is not being distributed to the other jacks, because they're all separate and not hooked up to anything. Do I just need a telephone wiring block like the following?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012F ... d_i=507846
Attachments
IMG_1349.jpg
IMG_1349.jpg (15.96 KiB) Viewed 2621 times
#109777 by lbmofo
Sat May 11, 2013 5:10 pm
Looks like you have 4 telephone wire bunches going into your house?

In order for all the jacks in the house to be connected together, you'd need to connect 4 first pairs together.

4 blue-whites connected together
4 white-blues connected together

I would get a box of these cheap: IDEAL 85-925 3 wire butt splice scotchlok connectors from Home Depot

Using 1 connector to connect 3 wires together, then use another to connect 4th wire (pick one of the 3 previously connected, cut and insert both ends into the 2nd connector).
#109805 by risuzaru
Sun May 12, 2013 5:22 pm
Thanks for your reply. I didn't have notifications enabled, so I didn't notice. I've never done this before, so can you clarify what you mean by "cut and insert both ends"? I think I'm following up to connecting the first three wires together.
#109807 by lbmofo
Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 pm
You can think of it like this:

3 wire butt connectors connect up to 3 wires together but you have 4 wires to connect
So connect 2 wires using 1 connector and then connect the other 2 using another connector
Use a short wire to bridge the 2 connectors together.

But you crimp the butt connector to make the connection so I asked you to connect 3 wires together first, then cutting 1 of the 3 wires already connected makes the short bridge to the next connector.

3 wire butt bridge.jpg
3 wire butt bridge.jpg (10.21 KiB) Viewed 2554 times