Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109312 by bigmo29
Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:38 pm
I have zilch knowledge about telephone wiring and I need advice from the forum. I had AT&T Uverse VOiP phone service till my number was ported to Ooma. I still have Uverse internet and television. Since the Uverse phone service was a VOiP setup, can I assume that I don't have to do anything but attach a telephone cord from the Ooma to an empty jack? I'm assuming from reading some of the questions and postings that if had traditional phone landline service, you still needed to isolate some wiring to ensure nothing was live even though the phone service stopped but that since my Uverse phone service was VOiP I don't have to worry about disconnecting anything?

I tried searching the forum and I couldn't find an answer. Need advice as I don't want to fry my new Telo by doing something stupid.
#109376 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:51 am
I am not familiar with Uverse phone service so here is what I think.

If you know Uverse modem had a dialtone out jack feeding a house walljack, then you'd feed that same jack with Telo's "phone" port. It is reasonable to assume if Uverse fed dialtone to your house wiring from the Uverse modem, then your house wiring is disconnected from the traditional POTS telephone network.
#109403 by bigmo29
Wed May 01, 2013 5:23 am
Ibmofo,

Thank you for your posting. I looked at the back of my 2Wire modem/router and I think I'll post a picture with how the Cat5 wires are attached. The device is located in one of my back bedrooms and occupied by my son so I'll have to clear out his stuff to get to it. Son's bedroom does not have a traditional telephone jack where the 2Wire is located.

From the NIB, Cat 5 runs under the house to the backbedroom and comes up through a hole in the floor/carpet the AT&T tech drilled to bring the Cat5 into the house. On the day that I received confirmation email from Ooma that my AT&T number had been ported, the phones in my home were dead with no dial tone.

I'm leaning towards your statement that the POTS line no longer has a connection to my traditional phone jacks in the house. I have a multimeter. Dumb question but is the voltage I'm looking for to check to see if there's anything live on any of the wires AC or DC? What would be the voltage value I'm looking to see if anything is present?

Thank you in advance.
#109426 by MLXXXp
Wed May 01, 2013 1:36 pm
bigmo29 wrote:What would be the voltage value I'm looking to see if anything is present?

About 48V DC with no phones off hook or all phones disconnected. However, any voltage level, either AC or DC, on a POTS line would indicate that something is connected.
#109439 by bigmo29
Thu May 02, 2013 5:38 am
Thank you MLXXXp. I'll use the values you gave me to check the wiring for any kind of voltage. I had to work late last night so I didn't have a chance to snap some pictures of the 2Wire modem/router and how the Cat5e wires are connected to the back.

I'll try today after work. I'll also post one additional picture. It's the old network interface box I didn't include in my other posting. It's located to the left of the larger and newer NIB that the AT&T tech installed when my Uverse was first installed. It has a short piece of Cat5e running from it to the NIB. After reading Ibmofo's posting, I think this is how I got my ringtone as there is no traditional phone jack in my son's room.

Really appreciate the help and advice on this forum as I have really no knowledge of how POTS wiring and the newer Uverse stuff is connected. I'm learning a lot by reading the posts on this forum.
#109442 by MLXXXp
Thu May 02, 2013 7:59 am
I should also have mentioned that if you use a meter to measure the voltage on a POTS line and find that it's zero, you should then disconnect all devices from all jacks and measure the resistance across the line using the meter's ohmmeter function. You should read near infinite resistance.