Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#9487 by ggilman
Mon May 11, 2009 4:46 pm
Does anyone have experience porting multiple numbers? We currently have two landlines, the primary for the house and a secondary for a fax. I want to get rid of both lines now that we have the ooma. I plan on paying for a year of premier so the first port should be free and the second $39.

The issue I have is the order of the ports. Reading one of articles on porting, it says that if you port a secondary line, it is closed and the primary remains. If you close the primary, it disconnects both. So, to not loose the secondary phone#, I need to make sure the secondary gets ported first, followed as closely behind by the as possible by the primary. I don't want to wait three weeks by porting one, then later the other. Has anyone found the right way to port two numbers nearly simultaneously?
#9502 by buzzman
Tue May 12, 2009 4:31 am
I don't know much about porting two phone numbers.

But by reading people's past experiences on porting (and my own), I'd say the 3 week assumption is a bit too optimistic. In my case, so far it's been 6 weeks, and I'm supposed to get ported tomorrow. :D

ggilman wrote:Does anyone have experience porting multiple numbers? We currently have two landlines, the primary for the house and a secondary for a fax. I want to get rid of both lines now that we have the ooma. I plan on paying for a year of premier so the first port should be free and the second $39.

The issue I have is the order of the ports. Reading one of articles on porting, it says that if you port a secondary line, it is closed and the primary remains. If you close the primary, it disconnects both. So, to not loose the secondary phone#, I need to make sure the secondary gets ported first, followed as closely behind by the as possible by the primary. I don't want to wait three weeks by porting one, then later the other. Has anyone found the right way to port two numbers nearly simultaneously?
#9507 by jtykal
Tue May 12, 2009 6:59 am
If both numbers on the same account with your current service provider, make sure you port the SECONDARY number first! With some providers, if you port the primary number on the account, you'll lose your other number.

I'm porting two numbers from AT&T CallVantage. My first request was ported successfully in LESS THAN TWO WEEKS! I waited a week after requesting the port of my secondary number before requesting the port for the primary number. The primary number port is still pending, but if it goes as fast as the first one, it'll be any day now...
#10418 by ggilman
Thu May 28, 2009 11:56 am
Final solution for anyone else in the same boat. I contacted an ooma rep and she stated there was no way to guarantee the porting order of 2 separate numbers. She said I would need to port the secondary and once that was complete, begin porting the primary.

For me, fortunately the secondary line took only about 10 days. Primary line porting is now in progress and I received an email stating it will be completed in another week and a half. Total time for two ports in my case, assuming the 2nd stays on track, should be roughly 10 + 19 = 29 days. Both ports were from an AT&T landlines.
#10455 by jtykal
Fri May 29, 2009 10:40 am
I had two numbers on one account with AT&T CallVantage. ooma ported both of my numbers in less than a month. I requested a port of the secondary CallVantage number, waited a week, then requested the port of the primary number. No issues whatsoever.