Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109270 by bigmo29
Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:32 pm
AT&T Uverse telephone number was ported successfully to Ooma today, 4/26/2013. After porting, I still have Uverse internet and Uverse television. I picked up my phones and they have no dial tone except for the phone that connected to the Ooma Telo.

I need advice about what wires to disconnect at the NIB.

1) The red and green wires at the top of the picture are not attached to anything. They are loose.

2) The 4 green terminals and the 4 red terminals at the top have nothing connected to them.

3) The black and yellow terminals have white attaced to the black and the green attached to the yellow. As per the picture, this is the video/data connection. The green and red just to the right have nothing attached.

4) The left most bottom red connector has two blue wires. The right red connector has two white wires attached.

5) The looping Cat5e cable goes to the house back bedroom where it attaches to a 2 Wire residential gateway.

I need advice on what to disconnect so that I can run a telephone wire from the Ooma to a telephone jack to provide the ring tone to the remaining jacks in the house. Only single line set up with the present house telephone wiring.
Attachments
1_NIB_UVERSE.JPG
1_NIB_UVERSE.JPG (91.21 KiB) Viewed 6470 times
#109383 by lbmofo
Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:00 am
Are those green and white wires going into the house on a separate wire bunch and connect to the uverse modem?

Like I said it was "likely" on another thread, seems like your house wiring is already disconnected from the telephone company. They are connected together via butt connectors (blue to blue & white/blue to white/blue) but isolated from anything outsdie your home.

I suppose the green and white feed the uverse modem and your modem used to output Uverse dialtone fed to a walljack near the modem. You'd want to feed Ooma's "phone" port to that same jack that uverse dialtone was fed to.
#109476 by bigmo29
Fri May 03, 2013 3:50 pm
Ok, I finally had a chance to get to the back of my 2Wire modem/router. I'll attach two shots.

The bottom picture shows all connections. From left to right: power connection, black RG-6 for tvs in home, yellow Cat5e runs to back of Motorola receiver in son's room, white Cat5e is attached to son's computer NIC, and last Cat5e is attached to modem/router under label Phones.

In the top picture, close up shows green/white to phone line, which I believe is my Uverse television and Internet. (At the NIB, green/white is attached to data/video connection). The blue and blue-white wires are attached to jack labeled lines 1 & 2. It is this last connection where I think home phone jacks got dial tone while we had Uverse VOiP phones till porting was completed. Note that the AT&T tech who installed wiring put tape covering the broadband port and the Aux. line port. So I'm surmising that the green/white to phone line is actually my television and internet connection.

The Cat5e plugged to Phone line (green/white) and Lines 1 & 2 (blue/blue-white) is the Cat5e from the NIB that runs under the house and comes up through floor/carpet in my son's bedroom.

I'm thinking if I unplugged the connection with the blue/blue-white from Lines 1 & 2, I'll have isolated the telephone dial tone (when Uverse was still active) from my house telephone jacks. But a little knowledge is a dangerous thing and I'm going to wait for someone to tell me it's okay to pull that connection.

Thank you in advance. I'd hate to ruin my Friday by "frying" my new Ooma Telo!
Attachments
closeup cat5e.JPG
Close up Cat5e attached to modem/router
closeup cat5e.JPG (79.12 KiB) Viewed 6309 times
back of modem all connections.JPG
Picture of all connections in the back of modem/router
back of modem all connections.JPG (61.81 KiB) Viewed 6309 times
#109477 by lbmofo
Fri May 03, 2013 4:32 pm
Looking at your pics, it looks like Uverse tech ran a home run wire bunch to your modem (green pair carries the Uverse signal) and then had modem spit out Uverse dialtone back to your NID and then connected it to your house wiring there.

In order to feed your house wiring with Ooma dialtone, if your Ooma device is near the Uverse modem, just unplug the modular jack going into your modem's Line 1 &2 port, connect it to a "phone cord coupler" and then couple with a phone cord going into your Ooma's "Phone" port (coupler is just to make the phone cord longer so you can hook it up to Ooma).
#109482 by bigmo29
Fri May 03, 2013 8:11 pm
Ibmofo,

Thank you for your quick reply. I'm just now checking back. I have the Ooma Telo near our kitchen and I'm using the Ooma wireless adapter. I unplugged the Line 1&2 plug from the back of the modem/router, then I used a coupler at the Telo to plug my wireless phone and the other to run a cord from the coupler to the wall jack. I now have the distinctive Ooma dial tone at my other jacks in the house! Thank you very much for your help and advice. I couldn't be happier to have my house jacks in operation again. :D