Need extra help installing your Ooma Hub or Telo system? Let us know.
#109226 by rushboy2112
Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:09 pm
my setup: cable modem > Ooma > router (Cisco M20)

during phone calls, the router stops sending wifi. the wired connections still work.

I am not switching to modem > router > Ooma. we turn our router off at night. do not reply with "why do you do that?" or "you don't need to do that." I appreciate your helpfulness but we are not leaving our router on all night.

so ... if somebody could help me set up my router so that it doesn't care whether Ooma is being used for a phone call or not, I would be most appreciative :)

thank you
#109233 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:17 pm
rushboy2112 wrote:my setup: cable modem > Ooma > router (Cisco M20)

during phone calls, the router stops sending wifi. the wired connections still work.

I am not switching to modem > router > Ooma. we turn our router off at night. do not reply with "why do you do that?" or "you don't need to do that." I appreciate your helpfulness but we are not leaving our router on all night.

so ... if somebody could help me set up my router so that it doesn't care whether Ooma is being used for a phone call or not, I would be most appreciative :)

thank you

If possible, try moving the cordless phone base to a part of the house that is far away from the WiFi router. I had an issue with Uniden cordless phones that I was unaware of until I bought my Telo. When I brought the Uniden cordless phone base downstairs to test with my new Telo, I found that as soon as we hit the talk button, the WiFi would drop out. Hang up and it would come back online immediately, every time. Since the base had always been upstairs before that, it was far enough away and so we had not had an issue (although it probably was hurting WiFi performance a bit every time we used those phones). Once we got rid of the 5Ghz Uniden phones (which use 2.4Ghz for half of their functioning), and replaced them with our current Panasonic DECT 6.0, the problem went away immediately.
Last edited by EX Bell on Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#109251 by EX Bell
Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:33 am
rushboy2112 wrote:thank you for this advice, I will put that on the list of possibilities also. and we need new phones anyway.

I do appreciate the people who take the time to help out others. thank you! One of these solutions (or the next one) will solve the problem. :)

You're quite welcome. By the way, I like your username.
#109550 by rushboy2112
Mon May 06, 2013 12:19 pm
wanted to confirm that changing cordless phones fixed this problem. thank you to all who replied.

basically ... and in retrospect duh! ... a cordless phone on the 2.4 frequency and a wireless router on 2.4 will often conflict. imagine that.

got some Uniden DECT 6.0 phones and all is well.

keep in mind, there probably was a solution available by changing "channels" on the router but we pretty much wanted new phones anyway.

thank you